Spray Booth Completed
(01-22-2020, 10:53 AM)KLaz Wrote: Exhaust.  I open another door on the other side of the shop and another fan blowing into the booth for make up air
I would have used intake fans.   You can always turn them around.

The exhaust fan will draw in dust.  Intake fans with filters will not. 

I spray small items in my old darkroom which was setup like a clean room.  It is a closed room with filtered air coming in and vents to allow the air to exhaust. 

Obviously you cannot do the same because your booth is open, but filtered air coming in will give you fresh air to inhale and will minimize the dust issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-22-2020, 02:13 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well done.  I'm interested to hear how long it takes for the filters to slag up.  I tried a similar approach when I first started spraying, although with only two filters compared to your 4, and they slagged up very quickly.  I soon found it better to just forget the filters.  I didn't care if the overspray dust got blown outside and as long as the fans weren't rendered useless I was happy.  

John

Yep, the bottom ones are coated pretty good already after 4 spray sessions.  The top ones are still OK.

I've got to spray tonight and tomorrow and then I'm done till I get my cabinets ready to go.

It's a work in progress for sure.  I do have to use filters as my shop is on the front the house and we have landscaping and our front walk right in front of the windows I exhaust of of.

Otherwise it's been a great start to keeping the shop a little cleaner
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(01-22-2020, 03:02 PM)Cooler Wrote: I would have used intake fans.   You can always turn them around.

The exhaust fan will draw in dust.  Intake fans with filters will not. 

I spray small items in my old darkroom which was setup like a clean room.  It is a closed room with filtered air coming in and vents to allow the air to exhaust. 

Obviously you cannot do the same because your booth is open, but filtered air coming in will give you fresh air to inhale and will minimize the dust issue.

So after the first session of spraying, I learned that keeping the fans inside like the picture shows does not work that well.  So I've put the fans in the window now and I exhaust directly outside.

When the filters go on there is essentially a box plenum created to pull air evenly (or close to it) from the filtered section.  You can see the over spray heading towards the filters while spraying

I'd love to have a dedicated closed room for spraying, but for now this seems to work fairly well.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(01-22-2020, 11:54 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Breakdown booth looks great.

Drawers and cabs are much easier to spray if you leave the drawer bottoms and cabinet backs off.
Nothing blowing back into your face, all over the gun....etc....

Yeah, blow back out of the drawers sucks.  I have a few cabinets interiors that will be exposed to view that get painted so those will get painted prior to assembly for sure.
(01-22-2020, 04:06 PM)KLaz Wrote: So after the first session of spraying, I learned that keeping the fans inside like the picture shows does not work that well.  So I've put the fans in the window now and I exhaust directly outside.

When the filters go on there is essentially a box plenum created to pull air evenly (or close to it) from the filtered section.  You can see the over spray heading towards the filters while spraying

I'd love to have a dedicated closed room for spraying, but for now this seems to work fairly well.

There are open spray booths that are used in a clean environment (my workshop would not be a clean environment).  In that case they make the entire rear wall a wall of filters.  They have a second parallel wall and they blow air between the walls and duct outside.  There is a venturi effect that draws the fumes uniformly from that wall of filters.  I will see if I can find a diagram on line.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.