How to lengthen feed wires for subpanel
(01-24-2020, 10:58 AM)srv52761 Wrote: When you have a trade skill, spooling down never works out.  As soon as people find out you’re “spooling down” they figure that just gives you more time to do favors for your friends.... usually for free.

You've been peeking!  
Laugh 

I've (finally) got my Sis-in-law weaned off my help.  The last straw was when she said something, with many people around, that she'll "just have Tom install it", whatever "it" was at the time.  Something like a ceiling fan that would have required climbing around in her nasty attic to run NM.  Again. 

DW even runs interference for me now, though I think she kind of enjoys sticking her finger in her sister's eye (figuratively speaking, of course).  
Yes
Big Grin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
For clarification:

Its an attached garage, but the service is on the opposite end of the house of the garage, and everything is finished inside, so I suppose who ran it could have tried to fish the cable through the chase where the main heating duct is run, but I assume the outside in conduit was faster and easier.

The conduit is not metal, its the grey pvc. Upon further inspection, its individual wires run, not feeder cable. It is nice though they ran the conduit up from the ground to the entry point about 4-1/2' up the exterior wall, so I could shorten that conduit and enter it anywhere below where I want. 

I didnt know that split bolts were code for residential use outside of the service entry. After reading here it seems that or the distribution blocks would be simplest. 

I thought about the subpanel to another subpanel, but Id rather just have one.

Not planning on doing anything with it till spring or early summer but thanks for the info. 

This video seems pretty good on what to do to make sure its wrapped correctly, assuming this needs to be in a box, like a normal junction box, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNamnx9sJ8

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(01-24-2020, 10:34 AM)srv52761 Wrote: The 2020 code eliminated the 6 throw rule and requires a disconnect regardless.but not many municipalities will have adopted that yet.

Its about time

The new code also requires it to be on the exterior.  

The main service panel? Why? The only time I ever see theme here is on homes built maybe 50+ years ago
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Quote:Snipe Hunter said
The 2020 code eliminated the 6 throw rule and requires a disconnect regardless.but not many municipalities will have adopted that yet.

Its about time

The new code also requires it to be on the exterior.  

The main service panel? Why? The only time I ever see theme here is on homes built maybe 50+ years ago

It is still all new and there is some debate already as to what it means.  230.70 clearly eliminates the 6 throw rule... unless.....  But then the next section says the disconnect can be inside or outside, but then  230.85 says....

Our local AHJ said he has time to figure it out as we are still under the 2014 code.  I would expect it will be that way in most communities.  By the time a community gets around to adopting it, it will have gone through another vetting process.
If you want to replace the existing panel and extend all the circuits, I did this exact thing at my old house when I upgraded my main panel outside. The house had a 6 spot panel - among other things it fed a sub in the basement. All the spots were full. I needed to add power for my shop and wanted a panel with a main shutoff so needed to upgrade the panel, but the old panel was too close to the heat pump to pass inspection to put the new panel in the same place the old one was. So, I pulled all the breakers out of the old panel and turned it into a junction box, then extended all the circuits there to the new panel. I used inline splice kits and heat shrink tubing to make all of the connections. I passed an inspection, FWIW.

I re-read your post. I see you just want to lengthen the feed wires. you can get a plastic junction box and add inline splices to lengthen the feed wires. or leave the old panel in place, gut it and use it as the junction box.

Neatest and cleanest way is to buy a small NEMA enclosure and use the distribution block.

The NEMA boxes are fairly cheap and have knockouts. They are a handy thing...

Ed

Attached Files Image(s)

If your panel allows for it the easiest solution would be piggyback breakers for 120 volt circuit  or quadraplex  breakers for 240 volt circuit. 

Cut and paste; https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-P...5yc1vZc9a0
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!