Charleston, SC
Will be visiting Charleston, SC in a few weeks. Any recommendations on what to see or do, esp. period furniture, museums, or historical sights not to miss?
Just wandering around the historic district you'll see lots of places. Also, Fort Sumter, Patriots Point, Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
Cellulose runs through my veins!
If they are running this time of year, definitely take a horse drawn carriage tour.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The ghost tours are pretty fun as well
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
Go see the USS Yorktown CV10, worth the trip. They also have a WWII vintage submarine available for tours, that cramped interior was an eye opener for me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-24-2020, 09:51 PM)Admiral Wrote: They also have a WWII vintage submarine available for tours, that cramped interior was an eye opener for me.
They also have the Hunley submarine, first ever to sink a warship.

There is no shortage of sights to see in Charleston, which is celebrating its 350th birthday this year. For the woodworker, the downtown area has multiple homes that are open for tours, and the furniture has to be seen to be believed. The restaurant scene in Charleston is fantastic as well, so skip eating at the chain restaurants and enjoy the wonderful local cuisine. Charleston is nicknamed the “Holy City” for all the historic churches in the area, which is worth exploring regardless of one’s spiritual beliefs. In particular, St. Michael’s is fantastic, was attended by many famous individuals including George Washington, and they have a tour available after Sunday service.

The plantation tours are phenomenal as already mentioned, Middleton Place and Drayton Hall Home are a couple of my favorites. Folly Beach is nice if you like beaches, and a tour of Ft. Sumter will let you see where the first shots of the Civil War we’re fired. The Citadel (Military College of South Carolina) has a parade almost every Friday of the school year, open to the public for free, and is a sight to see. If you go to the parade, wave to the members of the Pipe Band as my youngest son is a member.  

The Charleston Visitor Center would be a good place to start to plan your trip-a google search will give you their web site.
Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to our visit there.
Don't miss the "Angel Tree". It's a 500 year old live oak. It's very cool!
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!