Bandsaw blade repair
Any suggestions for a business (Northeast) that could repair and sharpen a cracked Lenox Trimaster?

Thanks
(01-24-2020, 11:22 PM)CSCharney Wrote: Any suggestions for a business (Northeast) that could repair and sharpen a cracked Lenox Trimaster?

Thanks

Have you contacted Lenox? The only band saw blade repair I have heard of is Dover Band saw Repair. They are in Texas.

mike
Not sure if this helps but when I worked a Museum Exhibit shop, the folks in our metal shop that did welding could routinely make and repair bandsaw blades. We would buy coil stock and make our own lengths as we had several bandsaws taking different lengths. Maybe you can find a high end metalworking shop in your area and ask about repairing your blade.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
As far as repair is concerned, it is relatively easy to do that yourself with 45% or 55% silver solder and a propane torch. It also helps to make yourself a holding jig to keep it straight while doing this. There is at least one good video on YouTube about this.
(01-25-2020, 09:42 AM)Willyou Wrote: As far as repair is concerned, it is relatively easy to do that yourself with 45% or 55% silver solder and a propane torch. It also helps to make yourself a holding jig to keep it straight while doing this. There is at least one good video on YouTube about this.

LIL
IMO, depending on how or why the "crack" occurred, it may be an exercise in futility to repair it, because it can crack in other places due to embrittlement...And the repair may shorten the blade so that it no longer fits the saw..My method of repair would be to cut the cracked section out, scarf the ends and silver solder the joint...Just filling the crack with SS would not be my choice because the ss is more prone to work hardening than the steel and cracking would continue...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-26-2020, 11:49 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
LIL
IMO, depending on how or why the "crack" occurred, it may be an exercise in futility to repair it, because it can crack in other places due to embrittlement...And the repair may shorten the blade so that it no longer fits the saw..My method of repair would be to cut the cracked section out, scarf the ends and silver solder the joint...Just filling the crack with SS would not be my choice because the ss is more prone to work hardening than the steel and cracking would continue...

Sorry. It was not my intent to suggest simply repairing (filling) the crack. The repairs I do are with a scarf as you suggest and, I think, the youtube videos say the same. At least, the one I saw did.
(01-27-2020, 09:41 PM)Willyou Wrote: Sorry. It was not my intent to suggest simply repairing (filling) the crack. The repairs I do are with a scarf as you suggest and, I think, the youtube videos say the same. At least, the one I saw did.

Not a problem...I'm open to anything that has a chance of working.. and it is possible just filling the crack
might work...I have repaired broken a coil spring by acetylene welding it back together using music wire for the "rod" and then tempering it in oil....it was in a hydraulic control valve on a pole setting derrick and parts were not available to replace it...I will admit that I was surprised that it never broke again but in a pinch I will try most anything...
Crazy
Winkgrin
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-26-2020, 11:49 AM)Timberwolf Wrote:  it may be an exercise in futility to repair it, because it can crack in other places due to embrittlement..

/\/\ This. I found this when I owned a Woodmizer Mill.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020