Fine Woodworking #1 - 243
This is not strictly a "for sale" post but more of a search for advice.

1.  I don't think it's going to be very practical to ship them because of the weight (I'm guessing more than 75 lb), so I'd like to sell locally, or at least within a couple hours drive.  Meeting halfway, I could do Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Indianapolis and points in between.

2.  I see issues offered on eBay in groups of 1-6 for $6 and slightly less per issue + shipping.   I don't know if they sell fast or have been sitting there for a year.  And I don't want to be posting a bunch of small lots to keep track of and believe a "complete set" has more value.  Or only be able to sell issues 1-30.

3.  How is the best way to advertise and sell?

4.  What would this set be worth / asking price?

5.  I know there are memory stick versions from $70-100 but I think some people prefer the hard copy.  Any thoughts on that?
Put them on Facebook marketplace or Craigs List and let them find you.
Yea, my guess is that the memory stick price caps the value you can ask for.

I just got electronic copies of Fine Woodworking, Shopnotes, Woodsmith, and I have "Wood" on order. I might get "American Woodworker", but it's a bit pricey (around $90).

This will clear out a stack of old magazines, roughly 3 or 4 feet tall (multiple stacks).
I will likely give them away.

Your best bet might be to see how much one year's worth costs to media mail and sell them by 1-3 year bundles on ebay... IMO, that's how you maximize your return, you want collectors that are filling out their collection. Note, this may take some time. Not many people , on impulse are going to buy a massive stack of issues when they can get it electronically (even if it is a full collection)

Sorry if that is not what you want to here, but that's the best way to maximize cash, IMO.
(01-28-2020, 11:16 AM)paul2004 Wrote: Your best bet might be to see how much one year's worth costs to media mail and sell them by 1-3 year bundles on ebay... IMO, that's how you maximize your return, you want collectors that are filling out their collection.  Note, this may take some time. Not many people , on impulse are going to buy a massive stack of issues when they can get it electronically (even if it is a full collection)

Magazines don't qualify for media mail (BTDT) as while not specifically excluded the contents cannot contain any advertising material, so that's out, and if you do it anyway and they catch you, you pay full first class based on the weight.  Best shipping option is to see how many fit in a "shirtbox" flat rate box and price accordingly with shipping included.  The flat rate boxes come as large (23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3") and is about $21 and change, and medium (13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8") at $14 and change.

CL might be the best option.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Craigslist or another local way is worth trying first, maybe he gets lucky and finds someone, especially if he prices them to move (like $20-30 for the whole lot)

I suggested ebay just because this is a very niche item that does not appeal to a mass audience.. As was said before, being able to buy the CD kills the value of the printed material.
(01-28-2020, 01:30 PM)paul2004 Wrote: Craigslist or another local way is worth trying first, maybe he gets lucky and finds someone, especially if he prices them to move (like $20-30 for the whole lot)

I suggested ebay just because this is a very niche item that does not appeal to a mass audience.. As was said before, being able to buy the CD kills the value of the printed material.

I recently bought a mixture of Wood (229 issues), Fine Woodworking (about 50 issues but not in sequence) woodsmith (149 issues and missing one issue in the sequence) and assorted woodworking books and some scrollsaw magazines.  I found them on Craigslist for $1 per foot and bought twelve feet.
(01-28-2020, 10:07 PM)humanrace Wrote: I recently bought a mixture of Wood (229 issues), Fine Woodworking (about 50 issues but not in sequence) woodsmith (149 issues and missing one issue in the sequence) and assorted woodworking books and some scrollsaw magazines.  I found them on Craigslist for $1 per foot and bought twelve feet.

I was given a ton of fine home building magazines. I kinda regret taking them. Looking at my house I should open a few.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(01-29-2020, 09:34 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Looking at my house I should open a few.

Naw, spend you time on your shop!! 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis