Bolstered scratch awl - where to purchase?
I normally hang around in the Hand Tool group - I do a bit of turning, mostly to make replacement handles for yard sale chisels and the such.

A few years ago, I bought a bunch ( 30 or so ) bolstered scratch awl metal ' bits ' from Lee Valley - should have bought 100 - I turn handles and give them away - and am nearing the end of my supply. They are a total length of about 4 inches, and the shank part of the awl is just over 1/8''.

I have O-1 stock that I could easily make them, but it is the bolster that I like.

Any ideas as to a supplier out there for such a thing?

Regards;

Dave Beauchesne
Just so everyone knows, What Dave is looking for 
(I believe this is Dave's picture from LJ )

Dave wants the metal point with the STOP disk on the shaft. it stops the rod from going deeper into the wood handle

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Dave

Nice to see you here and I missed your post at LJs.  I either use a copper or brass piece I get from a pipe and for small awls I use 3/8 fitting.

If you do not want to get a length of pipe from the box stores then you can order pieces from EBay at a size you wish.

I just used the last of my copper 5/8" and 3/4" but if you send me the awl I will make one for you since you are my buddy.

Send me a PM if you want me to and type of wood and if I do not have it you can send me a piece of the wood to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Have you contacted Rob Lee to see if maybe they have some NOS that was pulled and shelved, or who their supplier was?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-30-2020, 07:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you contacted Rob Lee to see if maybe they have some NOS that was pulled and shelved, or who their supplier was?

I use music wire 5/32. Check out this video I did and check out the Affiliate links  below the desctiption for a source. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sc7l7Uz6vY&t=185s
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."