smelly water
(01-31-2020, 07:17 AM)WxMan Wrote: The one at the church, however, is a shallow well, and was used to provide water to a small country schoolhouse that's no longer there.  It's across the road from the church.  Nobody wants to drink that water, and the church keeps bottled water around for drinking.

We have a salt water well at our club, we have a reverse osmosis system to remove the salt but I still only drink bottled water. LOL.

I assume the well is drilled into a salt dome/cavern.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Where do you get a chlorine injection system for home use?
VH07V  
(02-01-2020, 03:22 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Where do you get a chlorine injection system for home use?

Ohio Pure Water

I've purchased two systems from OPW. At the last house, I put in a a calcite filter for PH. Calcite actually hardens the water though so if it's already hard, you'll also need a softener. That well had Ferrous/clear water iron and PH problems. So we installed a calcite filter and a softener (both backwash systems). Fixed it. . Our current well has very high Ferric (red water) iron problems. It stains the grout in the tile and toilets and stinks if not treated. So I put in a greensand/manganese system and a calcite filter (both backwash systems). It fixed the water but requires a good bit of attention and maintenance. The venturi and float valves can fail because of the high concentration of iron and the chemical used for backwashing (potassium permanganate). But I've installed several cartridge filters in front of the system and haven't had the issues since. Much easier to replace cartridge filters than valves.

A chlorine injection system can also used for Ferric iron control. They require less maintenance and I'm thinking about using one if ours ever craps out again. I'm just not sure they can handle real high levels of Ferric iron. I'm seeing more of them in newer homes. Easier maintenance.

OPW drop ships the system on a skid (or two skids). I haven't bought an injection system from them but they do sell one. When I was originally pricing systems, OPW was about 30% less than plumbing suppliers. When I've had issues, they always respond quickly to my emails and walk me through it. They won't sell you a system without their clients providing them water test results and an accurate flow rate so everything is sized right.

This is a decent quick rundown on iron treatment systems. Link
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-27-2020, 04:23 PM)WxMan Wrote: Thanks for the update.

Since we live on an acreage and have a well, I follow these items with interest.

We also belong to a small country church with an even smaller, inadequate well water supply.  Unfortunately for us, our latest water issues are manifesting in low or no-flow water.  It's not softener/conditioning system related, so I guess it could be a faulty pump.  The well is also very old, shallow, and some distance from our building.  I'm concerned that the expense of a new deep well is in the near future for us.

years ago my in laws had a cottage with a standpoint shallow well. They ran into low volume and I helped my father in law "shoot" the well. Pulled the cap and shot 2 rounds from a 22 pistol down the pipe. Problem solved. The shock wave from the bullets forced the built up stuff blocking the sand point out. 

I don't think our church is going to try a chlorine injection system.  We had that at a camp in Canada that I worked for 30 years ago.  It was constant maintenance it seemed.  We pumped straight from the lake for our water supply and so it was required.  System broke down one time and we had to chlorinate manually for a week until I could get a new unit in.  Some refused to chlorinate and they got sick.  Not my problem, I told them what they needed to do and they wouldn't do it because they didn't like the taste of chlorine.
I talk to myself.  There are times I need an expert opinion.