water ball valve problem
(01-28-2020, 04:15 PM)blackhat Wrote: You got a bad valve. Replace it. Flow direction is irrelevant in a ball valve.

Unless it has a drain port which should be on the zero pressure side when closed.

Still, replace the valve.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-30-2020, 04:45 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Be advised that ball valves of this sort come in two flavors - standard, and full-flow.  Standard ones will restrict the flow due to the narrowing of the passages to where they're smaller than the pipe or tube section.  Full-flow are basically a larger ball valve with smaller threaded connection, and won't restrict the flow.

Might not matter to your application, but for hydraulic suction lines (for instance), it matters.

Why would anyone install the standard and not full flow? Are the standards cheaper?
VH07V  
(02-17-2021, 02:52 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Why would anyone install the standard and not full flow? Are the standards cheaper?

Cost and size.  Yes, standard port designs are cheaper.  And smaller.  

Cheap is always a concern, and size can sometimes be a concern.  We only use full port ball valves on hydraulic pump suction lines at the tank (gravity head), as pumps are sensitive to negative pressure at the inlet, but we could also use piping that's one size larger and a standard port ball valve; it's cheaper to use the full port, though, and all the other bits are then smaller.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Guys, how can I test a ball valve?