Plane restoring process
So you are back to grinding planes again?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-01-2020, 02:46 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So you are back to grinding planes again?

On a very limited basis.
(02-01-2020, 02:26 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: .  And yes from experience usually they are high in the middle.  So they rocked. and depending on the fixturing it a person was going to get chatter in the cut, it will be in the beginning or ending of the cut where there is less support.  So a little more pressure could be applied at the ends.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. Woodworkers use the word chatter to describe harmonic vibration from a poorly bedded iron that is wagging. 

Forty year ago people were arguing that if the sole was perfectly flat and the iron projected one or two thousandths, it would cut a concave surface. They would draw an arc from the bottom front of the plane to the edge of the iron to the back bottom of the plane. 

Today we have people claiming that if one has a flat surface like for making a joint and then takes repeated shavings, the edge will necessarily become convex.

None of these are problems that a skilled person has.
(02-01-2020, 10:44 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: No automatic down feed, grinder is strictly manual, can set the cross feed to reverse.

Tom

That takes a lot more time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-01-2020, 06:07 PM)wmickley Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about here. Woodworkers use the word chatter to describe harmonic vibration from a poorly bedded iron that is wagging. 

Forty year ago people were arguing that if the sole was perfectly flat and the iron projected one or two thousandths, it would cut a concave surface. They would draw an arc from the bottom front of the plane to the edge of the iron to the back bottom of the plane. 

Today we have people claiming that if one has a flat surface like for making a joint and then takes repeated shavings, the edge will necessarily become convex.

If I read tablesawtom's note correctly, the chatter is that chatter occurring at the Stanley belt sander line.  Which I can fully appreciate!

Great posting for the OP!

Chris
Chris
(02-01-2020, 06:07 PM)wmickley Wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about here. Woodworkers use the word chatter to describe harmonic vibration from a poorly bedded iron that is wagging. 

Yes I know you do not know what we are talking a bout. 

We were talking about the original machining  process that Stanley performed on planes 100 years ago.  Timberwolf has a machining back ground and I was somewhat responding to his post as to how they did it back then. I wasn't in your conversation 40 years ago and I have never claimed  to a surface convexed. If you are referring to making a joint a little hollow in the middle then you can make a joint to be basically clamped the entire way only using one clamp, then I will go on record as being completely against that. The glue is stronger than the wood so stress is added and the wood will eventually fail somewhere in the middle of the board, not at the glue line. I have seen it to many time to want to repeat it

So please don't make those claims as to what this post is about. And are you inferring that you are the only skilled person and that the rest of us are amateurs?  And that we have these problems because we are not as skilled as you are?

Tom