Tool cases vs freeing up shop space
Thanks guys! I feel better about sending them to the recycle bin.
(02-01-2020, 12:40 PM)6270_Productions Wrote: I truly believe the manufacturer intends for you to throw them away and NEVER use them for proper storage of the tool.

Don't believe me?  Then explain, please, why they require you to return the tool to a "Yeah, you don't use it in that configuration" position before you can store it back in the case.

[Image: Milwaukee-3102-6_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571477838]

Yes, I have one of these drills. 
Yes, I have - and use - the original case. 
Yes, I have to turn the head back to the official "Yeah, you don't use it in that configuration." position every time I store it in the case. 
Maybe they expect to sell me new bolts, when I eventually round the shoulders off on these because I have to keep changing them?

Milwaukee, are you listening here?  If so, make a note - THIS IS STUPID!

Exactly !   Plus they must design the cases for corded tools with the cord cut off as it only fits in if wound as the shipped it.   Roly
I toss most of mine, the soft storage "carry" bags, too. I have dedicated homes for all my tools, and they never leave my shop.
Semper fi,
Brad

I wish they just put a picture in the inside showing how the puzzle all goes back together!
(02-01-2020, 08:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I wish they just put a picture in the inside showing how the puzzle all goes back together!

A friend wanted to borrow my Milwaukee circular saw for a couple of days. I told him when he got home to open the case then immediately take a picture of the saw in its case so he would know how to put it back correctly. Worked for him.
On the other hand, at least half of my shop work is done away from my shop and much of that is outside. I keep all my cased tools in their cases, making them easier to load and keep track of all the parts when I'm out. It also keeps much of the weather away from them. When the cords, are pesky, I perform some internal surgery on the cases to make them easier to put the tools away.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
How do you keep the tools themselves when they are not in use?

If not in the tool cases that the tools came in with, recycle them to save space which is your goal.

Otherwise keep the cases as they don't take up space when the tools are inside them.

Exception (which you probably already knew): Keep all your Festool cases aka systainers! They will increase the tools' resale values or can be sold by themselves.

Simon
My traveling tools (which I dont really do anymore) stay in cases, on shelving out of the way.
Most all other cases have been throw away, burnt in the wood stove, gave away, or the few that will make a decent case for other items, get shelved also.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I keep all of mine.  I use several to store the tools and the for ones that stay out of the case, I save the case for the occasional off-site transport.

Of all the ones I have, the only one I should get rid of is the one for my DeWalt 618, 3 base router kit.  That beast is the size of a suitcase and the only thing in it are a few of the extra bits & accessories that don't get used much.  I never take the router out of the shop.  
Smirk
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(02-01-2020, 10:02 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I do enough "out of the shop" work that a few tools: nailers, jig saw, Sawzall, and circular saw are stored in their cases.  All other cases go straight to recycle.  I use to keep them, then real estate became an issue.  Couldn't bring myself to toss them so they went to the attic.  Texas weather is not kind to anything in the attic.  Lesson learned.

I keep them all, but mostly for "out of shop" tools or ones that sit on a shelf and I want to keep the dust off and the accessories in the box.   I've heard you can cut out the molded form and just have an open box that you can use to store whatever -- fasteners, extension cords, toys, etc.

I sort of wish the manufacturers would reduce the price a few bucks and sell without a case, but put in a postcard that you can send back if you really want the case.  Many of them do not allow much room for the cord and it kinks it at the stress relief.  Porter-Cable seemed to be the worst offender here.

When I did on-site repair work I switched over to HF black fabric bags for several reasons.
1. All the cases were different sizes and did not stack well on the shelf of my cargo van
2. If someone peeked in the window, it screamed "TOOLS" whereas the HF bags just looked like a pile of cloth.
3. They had too much dead space and took up too much room
4. No room in the boxes for a variety or supply of fasteners like brads of different sizes or staples, additional blades, etc.