Tool cases vs freeing up shop space
I'm doing a spring cleaning of the shop and trying to free up some valuable real estate. The question that I have is what do you do with the hard plastic tool containers that the tools come with? The hoarder side of me says to keep them while the more practical side of me says throw them out. I've got about a dozen cases from Dewalt and Bosch. The tools and all the contents of the containers have not seen one another since they were taken out of the cases when they first came in the shop years ago.
I do enough "out of the shop" work that a few tools: nailers, jig saw, Sawzall, and circular saw are stored in their cases.  All other cases go straight to recycle.  I use to keep them, then real estate became an issue.  Couldn't bring myself to toss them so they went to the attic.  Texas weather is not kind to anything in the attic.  Lesson learned.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
The only plastic cases I have left are the ones that are actually used for tool storage. All of the others that came with the tools that were in them have gone in the recycle bin shortly after purchase. Empty unused plastic tool containers are just dust collecting shop space eaters.
They are not like hand planes which increase the value.  I held on to the cases I had and realized I never put the tools back in them so out they went to be recycled.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This comes up periodically. Depends on an honest assessment of YOUR situation.
What works for you and your work habits/shop does not work for someone else.

I keep the cases, storing the tools inside them. Mainly because often enough, I find
myself needing to take one or more of them on the road, either locally or to my sisters
place many miles away.  

If you have separated them from the tools that long ago, it appears you have your
answer.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I pitched the cases they came in and picked up larger tool boxes when they went on sale.  So stuff related to that tool goes in that box. Easy to grab and go, and helps to keep things organized in the shop.
(02-01-2020, 09:34 AM)efmrrt Wrote:  The question that I have is what do you do with the hard plastic tool containers that the tools come with? 

My Grandson uses the plastic briefcase-style tool cases to carry his Hot Wheels.
I understand they are quite popular at garage sales. A few times I've sat them out with the trash the night before and most of them disappeared (before the trash guy got here). But except for the one Festool systainer they get disposed in some manner. Recycle if possible...otherwise the trash. The Systainer got sold right here in S&S.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I truly believe the manufacturer intends for you to throw them away and NEVER use them for proper storage of the tool.

Don't believe me?  Then explain, please, why they require you to return the tool to a "Yeah, you don't use it in that configuration" position before you can store it back in the case.

[Image: Milwaukee-3102-6_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571477838]

Yes, I have one of these drills. 
Yes, I have - and use - the original case. 
Yes, I have to turn the head back to the official "Yeah, you don't use it in that configuration." position every time I store it in the case. 
Maybe they expect to sell me new bolts, when I eventually round the shoulders off on these because I have to keep changing them?

Milwaukee, are you listening here?  If so, make a note - THIS IS STUPID!
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I have all the tool cases they came in and the tools get stored in them on a lower shelf of a workbench. I also have a couple wood tool case boxed my grandfather made for a router and saber saw. I don't have a tool chest with deep drawers to store bigger tools and like to keep them where they don't collect lots of dust.
Cellulose runs through my veins!