Stain / no Stain
Our daughter bought a live edge red oak slab with a crack.  I inlayed a maple bow tie.  She wants the slab stained to go with her dark floors.  I thought I could shellac the maple and stain the slab.  This did not work on the practice.  What say ye?

Yes this is a double post.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
You said above that the butterfly was already in place. At this point I'm not sure there is a way to keep the stain from bleeding into the overlay. It will be interesting to see the suggestions.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The only way I can think of to do it would be difficult:  Stain the whole piece now for the desired major color.  Then redo the bow tie.  Route it out and replace.
(02-02-2020, 08:19 AM)WxMan Wrote: The only way I can think of to do it would be difficult:  Stain the whole piece now for the desired major color.  Then redo the bow tie.  Route it out and replace.

I considered this idea but my inlay skill level is not that high. I don't want to leave the inlay "proud".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood