1/8" Chisel
If you plan to use a grinding wheel. make sure the wheel is the cool type. The stock wheel that comes with a grinder is often not so good for sharpening hand tools.

Simon
Thanks for the advise. I will try it on the belt sander and let you know how it goes. Will keep a water bath handy to keep things cool. Should I try to put a bevel on the sides so it doesn't look like a mortice chisel?
1/8 chisel is so small, and the tip pressure so high compared to the size of the wood fibers, almost any tool will work acceptably. You could grind a masonry nail and use that.
The "Stanley Sweetheart" re-release chisels are decent enough for this.  They make a 1/8" I believe and are affordable and good.  Like a "poor man's" lie nielsen.
(02-04-2020, 09:13 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: 1/8 chisel is so small, and the tip pressure so high compared to the size of the wood fibers, almost any tool will work acceptably. You could grind a masonry nail and use that.
And a masonry nail can make a pretty good little chisel....I also used them to make leather stamping tools and backgrounding tools for carved wood signs.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Unless English dovetails are done, the 1/8" is the least used chisel for most people. I even know some who don't have any 1/8" chisels. Absolutely no need ( want is different) to waste money on any premium brand...unless it comes as part of a set.

That's not to say the chisel has no place in a shop. Sometimes it is the only tool that can do the job for instance cleaning a 1/8" groove when you have no router planes to work with. Well, as Adam pointed out, you could even make a chisel out of a nail.

Simon
My 1/8" chisel is a Buck Brothers Sash Mortise Chisel....goes along with the 3/16" Butcher one...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I wouldn’t bother to buy one for this class as I don’t know of any reason where it would help. You probably wouldn’t be the first. You might want to actually speak to the instructor before spending any more time or money on one.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I can think of ONE reason for such a skinny chisel....

While I chop DOWN with a wider chisel....I need a skinny chisel to fit in from the end grain end....and pop the waste up and out....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Why would that be necessary if you chop or pare from both faces of the board? You also run the risk of bruising the edges working in from the endgrain unless you work slowly and carefully.

Simon