I Hate Painting - 2. Need sprayer advice.
Seems like most of my project end up being painted pieces, half for indoor use and half for outdoor use, mostly using latex paint or SW polyurethane trim paint. I have found that I'm not very good at using a brush so I would like to use a sprayer. I have the HF airless sprayer and it does a pretty good job but boy, what a mess it makes, even though I can arrange part of the basement to use as a paint booth with a good exhaust fan in a window. It also seems like it takes a quart just to prime it and that is tough with $80/gallon paint. Is there a better choice that doesn't break the bank? I realize that I may also need to upgrade my small 12 gallon compressor.

Mats
Mats
I too hate painting.  Have you considered one of the small corded paint sprayers like this Wagner?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p...on/5381825

I've been wanting to try one for painting small projects, but have yet to pull the trigger.
(02-04-2020, 10:49 AM)farmerj111 Wrote: I too hate painting.  Have you considered one of the small corded paint sprayers like this Wagner?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p...on/5381825

I've been wanting to try one for painting small projects, but have yet to pull the trigger.
I tried the link but I get a ninja
Smile.
Mats
(02-04-2020, 11:30 AM)woodmats Wrote: I tried the link but I get a ninja
Smile.

Look here.  The site earns money by referrals so I would not put much stock in the reviews.  It does make a good list for further research.

:  https://www.bestreviews.guide/handheld-p...gle_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=381543623185&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=1t1&google_params[adgroupid]=76772379734&google_params[campaignid]=6490998898&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9004239&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0|254&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OrNjL645wIVC1YMCh3bdQfoEAAYASAAEgK-d_D_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
This was the one I was trying to link....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6X...Q5CZQ22WWA
Value priced airless paint sprayers are good for spraying larger areas but not a great choice for furniture or cabinets.  For those applications a compressor driven conversion gun will apply a higher quality finish and use and waste less doing it.  Among this type of gun it's very hard to beat an Accuspray for finish quality, ease of clean-up, and absolute minimum wasted product.  One like this:  Link.  The PPS H/O cup shown with it holds 28 ozs.  This type of gun is not for painting walls or fences, it's for cabinets and furniture as I said.  

I use a Qualspray gun from Homestead Finishing.  It's a bottom feed gun, but uses the same PPS pressurized cup as on the Accuspray.  Clean up is fast and easy.  I spray everything from water based dyes to shellac to clearcoats to pigmented lacquers to BM Advance with this one gun by changing needle/nozzle sets; amazing versatility.  The Accuspray gun has the same versatility, at lower initial cost, but you have to replace the needle and nozzles over time.  This isn't always a bad thing, like when you want to spray something really nasty where clean-up would be a real pain.  With the Accuspray gun you can just toss the nozzle, clean or replace the needle, install a new nozzle and be ready to go with a different product.  It's the same with the PPS cup system.  It uses a replaceable liner and filter lid.  You can either clean and reuse them, as I do when spraying WB products, or throw them out and install new ones.  

Spraying doesn't have to be drudgery cleaning up or waste a lot of product if you choose the right gun.  

John
Look for a LVLP (low volume low pressure) gun. These usually work with less pressure and have minimal over spray. Mine requires only 4-6 psi. So, it might work with your small compressor. There are a couple of Youtube videos about a Sprayit model. Favorable reviews and pretty low cost. Home Depot sells them on their website.
(02-04-2020, 05:14 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Value priced airless paint sprayers are good for spraying larger areas but not a great choice for furniture or cabinets.  For those applications a compressor driven conversion gun will apply a higher quality finish and use and waste less doing it.  Among this type of gun it's very hard to beat an Accuspray for finish quality, ease of clean-up, and absolute minimum wasted product.  One like this:  Link.  The PPS H/O cup shown with it holds 28 ozs.  This type of gun is not for painting walls or fences, it's for cabinets and furniture as I said.  

I use a Qualspray gun from Homestead Finishing.  It's a bottom feed gun, but uses the same PPS pressurized cup as on the Accuspray.  Clean up is fast and easy.  I spray everything from water based dyes to shellac to clearcoats to pigmented lacquers to BM Advance with this one gun by changing needle/nozzle sets; amazing versatility.  The Accuspray gun has the same versatility, at lower initial cost, but you have to replace the needle and nozzles over time.  This isn't always a bad thing, like when you want to spray something really nasty where clean-up would be a real pain.  With the Accuspray gun you can just toss the nozzle, clean or replace the needle, install a new nozzle and be ready to go with a different product.  It's the same with the PPS cup system.  It uses a replaceable liner and filter lid.  You can either clean and reuse them, as I do when spraying WB products, or throw them out and install new ones.  

Spraying doesn't have to be drudgery cleaning up or waste a lot of product if you choose the right gun.  

John

Thanks John, I have a friend that have one of those Wagner sprayers and he agrees with you. Basically, similar drawbacks s my HF airless gun and I was looking more for something to paint smaller pieces and cabinets like you recommended above. Do the Accuspray and Qualspray handle latex?

Mats
Mats
(02-04-2020, 08:18 PM)Willyou Wrote: Look for a LVLP (low volume low pressure) gun. These usually work with less pressure and have minimal over spray. Mine requires only 4-6 psi. So, it might work with your small compressor. There are a couple of Youtube videos about a Sprayit model. Favorable reviews and pretty low cost. Home Depot sells them on their website.

Does it handle Latex paint? I have a unit very similar to the Sprayit gun and I also have the HF unit. I see Youtube clips where they show using these guns to spray latex paint but I haven't been very successful to get the latex thin enough to work, even using an oversized nozzle.
Mats
I have the Sprayit (W-71) that I bought from Home Depot with a 1.5 mm tip. It will not spray latex without thinning it more than it should be thinned, IMO. But, I also have a look-a-like (also W-71) with a 2.0 mm tip I purchased ($24) from an Ebay seller. It shoots latex beautifully. I think both guns are Iwata W-71 knock-offs. I can't accurately tell you how much thinning is necessary because the latex I was using as a test was from a 1/2 can that had been on the shelf for a while and it was a cool 60 degree day. So, I thinned it using a #4 Ford viscosity cup to a 2 minute rate. This worked very nicely. Without thinning, it would hardly flow through the #4. I don't know how this compares to paint from a fresh can.

BTW, The W-71s (Iwata knock-offs) appear to be either a side (swivel) cup or a bottom (siphon) cup. The sprayit brand also comes with the more conventional top cup. They are a bit more expensive.