Floating Construction
On the Pottery Barn website they describe a dresser and one of the features was "floating construction".  Does anyone have an idea what that means?

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/ast...gITVvD_BwE

• Features lathe turned legs, molded trim on drawer face and 6 spacious drawers.
  • Crafted of kiln-dried solid mango wood and engineered hardwood.
  • Features floating construction.
  • Features a hand-applied finish.
  • Drawer features bore and dowel construction.
  • Kiln-dried wood helps prevent warping, splitting, cracking and developing mildew.
  • Anti-tip kit included: comes with safety-tested mounting hardware, instructions and a nylon strap. To prevent injuries from furniture tip-over, this item should be permanently fixed to the wall.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Wonder if it was put there inadvertently.

I think of floating construction as if you could hang it on the wall without any floor support.  They have floating nightstands.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Only thing I can think of is that is up off the ground as if its "floating" yes it has legs I see that. But the main body of the dresser is up off the ground. I searched the floating construction and a few dressers popped up claiming the same type of construction and they all had minimal legs.

Without seeing the inside, that's the only thing I could come up with...and that's my half cent thought on that
Maybe the internal drawer shelves are floating on the sides, not attached.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I notice also that it is imported. I wonder if it poor translation of some foreign language. "Bore and dowel" is also a strange term. Even if that is not the case, I'm see more and more frequently that folks who write descriptions simply don't know what they are describing and don't know correct terminology. Some of it gets humorous. I read a description recently for a new product that had damaged packaging. The description said that there was lots of "pain in the package".
(02-04-2020, 06:09 PM)Willyou Wrote: "pain in the package".

Well..........I've experienced that before.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I would guess floating tenons for the joinery, but it is just a guess.
I am now thinking that the side panels are built like cabinet doors with rails and stiles and a "floating" particle board center panel.  (I am guessing "particle board" based on the technical term that they used "engineered hardwood product".  I guess it could also be plywood. 

What do you think?

What I think is this is an aspect of construction that the average consumer would have no interest in.  I would wonder why they include it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-05-2020, 12:55 PM)Cooler Wrote: What I think is this is an aspect of construction that the average consumer would have no interest in.  I would wonder why they include it.

If you wow the consumer with wood working terminology then they will think they are getting a better product when all the while you are describing how junky it is.
My favorite: "Real wood construction".
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.