Floating Construction
(02-04-2020, 03:44 PM)Cooler Wrote: On the Pottery Barn website they describe a dresser and one of the features was "floating construction".  Does anyone have an idea what that means?

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/ast...gITVvD_BwE

• Features lathe turned legs, molded trim on drawer face and 6 spacious drawers.
  • Crafted of kiln-dried solid mango wood and engineered hardwood.
  • Features floating construction.
  • Features a hand-applied finish.
  • Drawer features bore and dowel construction.
  • Kiln-dried wood helps prevent warping, splitting, cracking and developing mildew.
  • Anti-tip kit included: comes with safety-tested mounting hardware, instructions and a nylon strap. To prevent injuries from furniture tip-over, this item should be permanently fixed to the wall.

Floating might mean that the back or sides or front is T&G.

The bore and dowel might come from the machine called bore machine.

It lacks either woodworker knowledge or how to describe it in English.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-06-2020, 01:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Floating might mean that the back or sides or front is T&G.

At one time Pottery Barn was getting furniture made by a shop in California and the quality and construction was quite decent (though the prices were not).

I find their designs to be nice, but they are definitely taking short cuts nowadays with both the materials and the construction methods.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-06-2020, 01:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Floating might mean that the back or sides or front is T&G.

My guess, other than "Chinglish", is that the side panels are rail and stile and the panel "floats" in the grooves.  This allows the panel to shrink (and expose unstained wood ;-) -- don't ask me how I know this)

But usually all that mumbo-jumbo jargon is so they feel they can charge more.   Just like "luxury condos" or "towne centre" spellings.
Maybe it means when you chuck the junk into the lake it floats instead of going straight to the bottom
For The Love Of Wood
(02-11-2020, 06:32 PM)bhh Wrote: My guess, other than "Chinglish", is that the side panels are rail and stile and the panel "floats" in the grooves.  This allows the panel to shrink (and expose unstained wood ;-) -- don't ask me how I know this)

But usually all that mumbo-jumbo jargon is so they feel they can charge more.   Just like "luxury condos" or "towne centre" spellings.
Or calling a "gym" a "health spa" or "fitness emporium".  In the 1960s we worked out in a "gymnasium".
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.