How to fix?
I am building a hall bench for our house. It never fails somewhere in my projects I always screw something up that is very visible. I posted a quick drawing below. The dividers are set unstopped dados in the shelves. I got done routing the dados and noticed a problem in the first full shelf. I miss measured one opening which throws off 2 dividers. Shelves 1 and 2 are nicer boards than 3 and 4. I figured since there are going to be doors on those cubbies they wouldn't show as much. The wood is red oak and will have some kind of stain to help darken the dark grain and warm up the light grain. So I had 3 thoughts on how to fix. Which would you vote for or do you have another suggestion?

1) Remake shelves 1 and 2 from the beginning. 

2) Make an insert to put in the dados and re-rout them. Grain match will be difficult and stain will probably pick up joint.

3) Make inserts and re-rout but move all the shelves up one and bring shelf 4 down to shelf 1.

4) There is also just leave as is. Not really a fix

Fill and re rout.........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you won't be able to easily see it fill and reroute. If you will then remake the shelf.

John
I have developed a very short fuse on how much time I will spend attempting a “fix”. I do enjoy the challenge of coming up with a good fix so this can be a challenge for me. If you think the fix will be invisible I would go ahead with it. Give it a try what have you got to lose? If it fails you can do what I generally do and that is count to 10 and make a new one. Use the material from the old one for something else later.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

This is going to end up on the top shelf. That is 7'-8' high with a door. I am sure when done you will be able to see the fix but only if you stand on the bench and open the door.
Put doors on all the upper shelves, thus hiding the discrepancy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I was already planning on doors on the top two rows.
(02-11-2020, 07:35 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: I was already planning on doors on the top two rows.
With a face frame you can probably hide the discrepancy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.