Drill press table crank fix
While this happened to a mid-90s Craftsman drill press, I believe that some other brands use the same crank handle that broke. Perhaps this will be useful.

I had some work in a big, heavy vice that was sitting on the drill press table, and when I went to lift the table, the crank handle broke off in my hand. I couldn't believe that the handle was made of mostly plastic. From appearances, I thought it was a die cast metal of some sort, but I was wrong.

[Image: drill_press_table_crank-1-Edit-800px.jpg]

[Image: drill_press_crank_broken-28-800px.jpg]

Looking around on the internet, this looked to be a common problem for a couple of different presses. Replacement cranks were plastic too -  no thanks!

I considered other solutions and settled on an aluminum wheel crank from industrial supplier McMaster-Carr. The wheel had a smaller mounting hole than the shaft, but I could drill that out to fit. I also needed to drill and tap a side hole for a 1/4-28 set-screw to hold it onto a flat milled on the table lift shaft. The wheel itself was gorgeously made.

[Image: drill_press_table_crank-10-Edit-800px.jpg]

I created some soft jaws for my vice to hold the wheel without marring it. I drilled the through-hole larger to fit the 9/16" diameter drill-press shaft, then cross-drilled and tapped 1/4-28  threads for the set screw.

[Image: drill_press_table_crank-24-800px.jpg]

[Image: drill_press_table_crank-40-800px.jpg]

It works like a charm, and looks better too!

[Image: drill_press_table_crank-48-800px.jpg]
THAT'S not going to break off in my hand!

BTW, a replacement plastic crank was $30 online, but this metal wheel with crank was $50. It's well worth the extra money for the peace of mind.
Bill Schneider
Very nice fix. I like it
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Nicely done , well thought out improvement
What the Heck, Give it a Try
My drill press came with a broken cast iron crank. I bought a plastic one for $15 or something like that. Been going for years. My only complaint is sometimes I have to lift the table as I'm cranking.

That wheel looks nice. With the drill press table I'd like to build, it would work nicely, with some modification. As-is, it looks proud of the table top? Many many times I have to position long workpieces over the handle area and with a proud handle I don't know if it would work. But if it works it works.
I'm sure this will be replicated many times. Thank ypu
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Like the fix, how are your clearances with your drill table? Dan
Very nice. .

Ed
Very nice job - good on ya for using your noggin! BTW, what diameter is the wheel, please?

Thanks,

Doug
Nicely done...keep an eye on the Grizzly website for wheels/handles as well...pretty nice assortment and seemingly reasonably priced:

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(handwheel)
My Delta DP has a similar OEM crank, I'd like to do that just as an upgrade. Got a part number from Mcmaster?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.