Drill press table crank fix
I just purchase a 9/16" bit to drill out some truck hubs for larger wheel studs. $9.90 Prime shipping.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F...UTF8&psc=1

I may do that wheel trick to mine.

Again, great job.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Bill, got my DP done just now. The handle I ordered from Grizzly isn't nearly as nice as yours (I suspected that would be the case) and a couple of things annoyed me. It was supposed to have a 1/4" through hole...but it was metric something or other. Also, the handle I ordered was supposed to thread right into the wheel, but didn't. So I had to put a jam nut on the back of it. Even so, the wheel was cast iron (wasn't sure what it would be) and it drilled out quite nicely, both for the 9/16" shaft fit and the set screw. All told I doubt it took more than 90 minutes or so (excluding a trip to buy a set screw, couldn't find the ones I have somewhere) to get it done. The metric hole thing was important to me, I had intended to center the wheel using that hole for alignment with a 1/4" drill bit. As it was I used a 19+64" bit and it worked out fine. Anyway, thanks for the idea...I like this much better than the OEM POS.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That looks great, and I'm sure it will hold up better than the original crank.

From your first photo, the original Delta crank looks awfully similar to the one that broke on my older Sears unit. You won't have to worry about that now.

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Bill Schneider
I suspect it was exactly like your Craftsman crank...they probably are distant Chiwanese cousins.
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My early 1990s Taiwanese drill press used the same plastic crank..and it broke at exactly the same place.

I home-made a replacement handle from scrap steel flatstock and a couple of common hex-nuts all welded together. Tapped the hexnuts for a 1/4x20 set screw to hold it to the pinion.

I re-used the rotating handle and I was off to the proverbial races.

Have to admit I like the bling of the chrome wheel tho.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
It (the handwheel) makes the cranking chore a lot easier (especially raising the table) than the OEM crank. That alone was worth the cost of the upgrade, and I suspect the plastic handwheels would do the job just as well.
MKepke - my first instinct was to find some flat steel and fabricate a crank similar to yours, but I took the semi-lazy approach. My welding skills are poor and I have only a 1960s-vintage Lincoln arc welder, so that limited my options.
Bill Schneider