Drill press table crank fix
(02-09-2020, 06:21 AM)fredhargis Wrote: My Delta DP has a similar OEM crank, I'd like to do that just as an upgrade. Got a part number from Mcmaster?

The McMaster part number is 6022K38, "Aluminum Unthreaded Through-Hole Spoked Hand Wheel, Dished Wheel with Revolving Handle, 6" Diameter"

It sits below the top of the drill press table, and I believe the crank throw is actually less than the original plastic crank by a fraction of an inch. I'll get a picture posted showing the side in a following post.

I wish that I'd had a lathe to drill the through-hole out because that would have been the best way. Lacking that, I chased the original 1/2" hole with the 9/16" drill easily enough with careful alignment in the vice.

If you are considering this and don't have a 9/16" drill, include its price in the project cost. They aren't cheap. I already had one from a long-forgotten project. It had a stepped-shank because my chuck only goes to 1/2".
Bill Schneider
There were questions about clearance between the table and the crank. It is not a problem at all until you get something pressed against the column that overhangs the table. Even then, you can still crank it. In that rare case, the clearance is about an inch for fingers. See the last picture here.

Here's the top view showing clearance with just the stock cast iron table...

[Image: drill_press_crank_clearance-6-top-800px.jpg]

Here's the side view with a secondary table pressed against the column. That's not how you'd usually work, but even then you can still crank it. Like I mentioned before, there's MORE clearance than with the stock plastic crank. It had a 3-1/4" center-to-center crank throw, and this wheel's crank is less than 3" throw. The wheel OD itself is 6", which is a 3" radius, with the crank-handle's center inside that.

[Image: drill_press_crank_clearance-14-side-800px.jpg]

Another view showing the secondary table, pressed back touching the column, and how the crank can still be used to raise or lower. It's getting tight, but it's very usable even in this unusual configuration.

[Image: drill_press_crank_clearance-21-cranked-800px.jpg]
Bill Schneider
BTW, just a note of caution. These measurements were for my older Craftsman 15" drill press, so things like the 9/16" bore for the wheel and the hand clearance could be different on another brand or model.

Measure yours before ordering anything.
Bill Schneider
Great idea, thanks for sharing.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-09-2020, 08:24 AM)Bill Schneider Wrote: The McMaster part number is 6022K38, "Aluminum Unthreaded Through-Hole Spoked Hand Wheel, Dished Wheel with Revolving Handle, 6" Diameter"

It sits below the top of the drill press table, and I believe the crank throw is actually less than the original plastic crank by a fraction of an inch. I'll get a picture posted showing the side in a following post.

I wish that I'd had a lathe to drill the through-hole out because that would have been the best way. Lacking that, I chased the original 1/2" hole with the 9/16" drill easily enough with careful alignment in the vice.

If you are considering this and don't have a 9/16" drill, include its price in the project cost. They aren't cheap. I already had one from a long-forgotten project. It had a stepped-shank because my chuck only goes to 1/2".

Bill, 9/16" cobalt ,silver & Deming bit ( turned down shank) are available from Wholesale Tools for under $7.00 + shipping. RDX Silver& Deming
Order#  0114-0021
9/16" diameter
1/2" shank
3" long flutes
6" total length
(02-10-2020, 04:01 AM)mike4244 Wrote: Bill, 9/16" cobalt ,silver & Deming bit ( turned down shank) are available from Wholesale Tools for under $7.00 + shipping. RDX Silver& Deming
Order#  0114-0021
9/16" diameter
1/2" shank
3" long flutes
6" total length

That's a great price. Admittedly, I didn't cast my net very far, and saw around $20 for the cheapest one.

Thanks!
Bill Schneider
There were plans I think in ShopNotes for extending the wheel to the end of the accessory table by adding a shaft. I always thought that would be nice to do someday.
I like getting stuff like that from Grizzly

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...l-6-/H3189

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...l-8-/H3187

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly...l-8-/H3190

The larger ones will not work unless you add a coupler on the shaft so you can extend it out 10" to 12"
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Several years ago I found a motor that was reversible and had a right angle gear reduction on it, I pulled the hand crank off my drill press, and made an adapter with set screws on both sides so that the motor just hangs there.

When you unlock the table, you just push the momentary switch whichever way you wan the table to go and it is motorized.

Fractional horsepower motor with gear reduction is fine for this purpose.

Duke
I liked this idea so much I went ahead and ordered a whell and handle from Grizzly to put on my Delta. It does a 9/16" shaft, but I have that bit. the only I couldn't figure out was what metal the Grizzly wheel was (aluminum versus some other cast material). In any case I think this is a good upgrade even if your crank didn't break.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.