Bandsaw
My band saw is a Delta 14 inch and the dust port under the table does not do a good job collecting the dust.  Is there a better option?

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
(02-09-2020, 01:14 PM)Herb Wrote: My band saw is a Delta 14 inch and the dust port under the table does not do a good job collecting the dust.  Is there a better option?

Thank you,

Have you seen Cosman's video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww
I, too, have  a14" Delta with the under table dust port.  I haven't yet hooked it into my dust collection system, if for no other reason than I don't think that the single small port is worth the effort.  My DC is an HF cyclone mod, and isn't the strongest.

I watched Rob Cosman's video as suggested.  I'm going to experiment with that port and some ideas inspired by Cosman's video.
Delta used to sell a sheet metal dust port that mounted under the table and essentially surrounded the blade. Alas, like most good things Delta, that part has been discontinued for the older 14" saws and was never offered for the newer variants. I too have one of the newer saws and it suffers from almost nonexistent dust collection due to it's completely ineffective 4" port. 

A couple of years ago I finally got P'd off and decided to do something about it. I was able to find a couple of .pdf files that showed the older Delta part in enough detail to adapt it to the newer saw. I built one out of mostly 1/8" birch ply. And then I kept futzing with it until I got it to work really well. Its a massive improvement, capturing almost all the dust below the table through a 4" hose that feeds into the shop cyclone system (I blanked off the stock Delta port). The dust that remained above the table gets captured by the 2 1/2" vacuum fitting that attaches to the blade guard with a magnet. Blade changes are easy and the table tilts about 30º without removing the below table fitting.

I have drawings for the gizmo if anyone wants to dive into making one.

.pdf   Dust port side.pdf (Size: 494.63 KB / Downloads: 299)
.pdf   Dust port top.pdf (Size: 662.88 KB / Downloads: 263)

Thanks for sharing Maple Leaf, this project will be on the my long list.
Oz
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I've messed around with dust collection on several bandsaws over the years from 10-20". It never quite works as well as you would hope, maybe catches 70-80% of the dust if you are lucky. It seems like some of the dust sticks to the blade and manages to get carried down to the bottom wheel and some makes it up to the top before it gets off the train. But it manages to stay in the station till you open it up and vacuum it out manually.

There are tons of examples especially with the delta 14 and its clones. If your saw is one of the vintage delta's, esp the Delta Milwaukee vintage, please dont hack the lower cover with a hole for a dust port. It won't work all that well and sooner or later you might sell the saw and the next owner will appreciate it..
(02-09-2020, 01:14 PM)Herb Wrote: My band saw is a Delta 14 inch and the dust port under the table does not do a good job collecting the dust.  Is there a better option?

Thank you,
Here's what I did on my Walker Turner 16" bandsaw (made it up as I went along 
Smile )

Took some measurements underneath the table, made a template and designed this collector box to fit underneath the table (rare earth magnets help to hold it in place) 

[Image: 46527831564_375e181dfe.jpg]

Came up with this bracket to help hold it fast underneath the table. Fortunately the holes were already tapped into the underside of the table (don't know what they were originally designed for, a la a little serendipity. 

[Image: 46527830524_65b5380a35.jpg]

I think I bought this hose adaptor from Rockler.

[Image: 46336889735_fec7fa25d8.jpg]

All the hardware necessary for the mod.

[Image: 46336890465_7d498d330f.jpg]

Kit installed (sorry about the thumb - no photog am I!).

[Image: 46336888995_ec03b3bbf9.jpg]

You can see a small amount of dust on the lower cover after usage - very acceptable for me.

[Image: 46527828174_97be1387c3.jpg]

[Image: 40296591693_8329f59b66.jpg]

HTH,

Doug
There was no dust collection on my 1970 something 14" Delta wood/metal bandsaw, so I came up with this simple one using a 2" PVC elbow.  

[Image: pHYLPw2uYMQVJSXweODlBXcKKyd8AkYL0KoHT6Vk...35-h626-no]

The metal bracket fits over the wheel cover bolt and is held in place by the same hand wheel.  

[Image: P6unNOCOnqQ6zSeK1V4MMRA3Mts6azmGF9IF2nNE...35-h626-no]

Gets maybe 80 - 90% of the dust.  When you're resawing or cutting veneer in 6" or wider stock, it makes a huge difference.  

John
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Very good!
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Thank you,

I just stuff my 4 in dust collection hose under the table and away I go not the best but works for me.
Professional at making sawdust!!!!