Honing jig info
I have a Dollar D 1044 honing jig for chisels and planers.  It is old and I cannot read the numbers on the side  indicatting setting for different angle sharpening on chisels and planers.  ( am not sure if it the same for all honing guides)  If anyone  has this jig, could;d you send me the info from the side of the unit telling me how to set it up,  Many thanks.
If you have a Wixey angle box or a good protracter, you can set up your own protrusion jig. Just get a good angle set at @ 20º, 25º, 30º, 35º and then mark the distance on a flat piece of scrap with a straight front edge. Glue a small block of wood at each mark. Then all you have to do is remember where you put your distance jig. Just stick the iron or chisel in the jig, push it out to the appropriate glue block, and you are all set up.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Yep. Build it once, have it forever. Makes setting your angles quick and consistent.

[Image: vindesk51.JPG]
[Image: vindesk53.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
(02-09-2020, 09:59 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Yep.  Build it once, have it forever.  Makes setting your angles quick and consistent.

[Image: vindesk51.JPG]
[Image: vindesk53.JPG]

That is a great idea. What are the holes on the other side for?
Finger grips to get the water stones out. They are held in by friction, and when I sharpen a lot, the walnut stays swell a bit. Gives me a little extra grip to pop them out. A convenience thing for my stubby fingers and the way I made my board, but not a necessity.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
This is the bee’s knees.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(02-09-2020, 08:20 PM)weelis Wrote: I have a Dollar D 1044 honing jig for chisels and planers.  It is old and I cannot read the numbers on the side  indicatting setting for different angle sharpening on chisels and planers.  ( am not sure if it the same for all honing guides)  If anyone  has this jig, could;d you send me the info from the side of the unit telling me how to set it up,  Many thanks.

First thing, I really like Johnnyego's  setting fixture. Another way to get the angle is to cut a scrap on a miter saw. Johnnyego's method is superior to the old way I have been getting angles for the past 55+ years.
mike