vinyl siding/nuke green stuff
Hey folks, in two weeks heading for mother in laws in East Texas for some home repair maintenance stuff. She wants me to bring my pressure washer to clean sides of house and not surprisingly she has mildew/green growth on some sides of the house. What is the go-to for adding to my cleaner tank to increase the amount of time before it starts to grow back?

Thanks for advice you can share!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
I never used any of this stuff, but here is the search:  https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ure+washer

I did clean mold off of some concrete steps leading to a lake by painting on some swimming pool shock.  The "lake" was man made and it was owned by the utility company. 

The shock worked very fast.  The steps were very slippery before we treated it. 

I would not use bleach in a pressure washer as the blow back would be very dangerous. 

The mildewcides are the way to go.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-11-2020, 04:05 PM)EricBruns Wrote: Hey folks, in two weeks heading for mother in laws in East Texas for some home repair maintenance stuff. She wants me to bring my pressure washer to clean sides of house and not surprisingly she has mildew/green growth on some sides of the house. What is the go-to for adding to my cleaner tank to increase the amount of time before it starts to grow back?

Here's one to consider:  Wet and Forget

John
Another vote for wet and forget. Works for me.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
(02-11-2020, 04:48 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Here's one to consider:  Wet and Forget

John

I use this on my boat cover. It works.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

+1 for Wet and Forget, I sprayed it on my vinyl fence and it's still mold-free two years later.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
I don't use the pressure washer on my vinyl siding. I'm too tempted to get too close on hard to clean spots and etch the siding. This happened in one small area I was cleaning.

Instead, I use a little liquid dish soap in a spray bottle, a hose sprayer to rinse and a brush on a long adjustable handle used to wash cars with to brush it. More labor intensive but it doesn't harm the finish and gets it cleaner.

If you can get more sunlight and natural air flow in the area the mildew/algae might go away. (Trim limbs and trees and shrubs for example).
(02-11-2020, 04:05 PM)EricBruns Wrote: Hey folks, in two weeks heading for mother in laws in East Texas for some home repair maintenance stuff. She wants me to bring my pressure washer to clean sides of house and not surprisingly she has mildew/green growth on some sides of the house. What is the go-to for adding to my cleaner tank to increase the amount of time before it starts to grow back?

I use a garden sprayer instead of a pressure washer , even though I have one. I put one gallon of water in first, then 1/2 gallon of Clorox outdoor bleach. I spray the solution on and wait til the next day. almost all the mold comes off with a garden hose. Sometimes I use the pressure washer to remove the bleach using only water. Any Clorox bleach will work but the bleach labeled for outdoor use may be stronger.
I spray every other year. Cover plants where needed as the bleach will kill the plants and bushes. I use what is left for weed killer along and under a fence line.
mike
Awesomely helpful y'all. Appreciate the insight from your experience.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
I've had good luck with Bayer moss and algae control:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-...ol/3018566