HANDTOOLS: Crispy Wartime #4 SOLD
SOLD
Came to find this smoother this past weekend, a very crispy, zero apologies, wartime #4.

As you may know, I don't have paypal or any other EFT technology, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum, then checks are ok.

First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your name and shipping address in the PM so I can quote shipping and print mailing labels. I ship when I get your mail, and PM you when shipped with USPS tracking.

I'm gushing, but a totally excellent example of a wartime #4; back of the iron is stamped "342", indicating production in the summer of '42 (sort of like the movie...). Crisp as could be, 99.99% japanning, and this being early wartime production, it has a steel depth screw, has the frog adjustment screw, and they were using up the rosewood stock, so the wood is just glowing, is wood is solid as well. 100% mechanically, iron is virtually full length, and is also a laminated iron, yummy, (usually only found in sweetheart vintage planes, so they were using up stock). I reset the bevel and sharpened on my Tormek, and you can see from the pics how it performs; further honing of the iron will only improve performance. Zero apologies. A great user plane, in excellent condition, I don't find many in this condition. Given the condition, yours for a very reasonable $60 plus shipping. This plane is ready for wood. I have a feeling it won't last long, so if you've got a puptent in your Wranglers for a good, vintage, smoother, pull the trigger.  Teaser pics:
[Image: 49526401986_066f7cb68f_b.jpg]

[Image: 49526622622_5b1387314f_b.jpg]

Full set of pics can be seen at this flickr album, here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...3083417103

Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This one went fast, plane is off to a new owner...
Admiral, We all want to know where you get that ribbon wood. Tell us man, tell us.
(02-12-2020, 05:06 PM)med-one Wrote: Admiral, We all want to know where you get that ribbon wood. Tell us man, tell us.

Ha ha, Home Depot.
Admiral: re. date on plane blade. Was it standard practice for Stanley to date the blades?
(02-16-2020, 11:19 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Admiral: re. date on plane blade. Was it standard practice for Stanley to date the blades?

I have personally seen the dating as early as 1938, but by 1944 the practice seems to have had disappeared.  So basically it appears in Type 16 and Type 17 planes, but it was hit or miss even within those Types.  Why was it done, who knows, perhaps one production line started stamping theirs.  Just a fun fact from the mysterious Stanley.....
(02-17-2020, 09:20 AM)Admiral Wrote: I have personally seen the dating as early as 1938, but by 1944 the practice seems to have had disappeared.  So basically it appears in Type 16 and Type 17 planes, but it was hit or miss even within those Types.  Why was it done, who knows, perhaps one production line started stamping theirs.  Just a fun fact from the mysterious Stanley.....

Admiral: thanks for that interesting bit of Stanley history  and trivia.