Skunk Repellant
There are sprinkler deterrents that have a motion detector for use in gardens. My wife bought me one once, but they weren't recommended for use with a well (which we had). But the reviews I read at the time said they were effective, so if you have public water you might search for one of those. At the time (some years ago) they were well over $100.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Are they living on your property? Sheds and decks are great places for them to den up. Right now, love is in the air and they are getting busy.

Skunks have a non exclusive territory of about 1-2 sq mi. If you're urban or su urban, their territories really overlap. Deterrents and repellents do not work. Grub control may, but they also go after worms. Fencing may be your best option. At the ground depending on the type of fence, I'd use either 1/2" hardware cloth or dig defense.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I also have a motion light that comes on when they enter the yard and it scares them off most of the time
Our dogs take care of most of our skunk problem. One came in this am, awfully smelly. Shes tangled with one again.

Matt's right about them holeing up in old sheds. I'm about to name our hay/feed/tractor shed as the Skunk Shed.

And yea, we shoot them on site when the dogs corner them. Yes, I'm aware you can't shoot them.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

They are not on my property. I believe they are coming from a wooded area behind my neighbors house. I have motion lights and even changed to leds last year but that worked the first time and now it is not even a factor. Doesn't even scare off rabbits. I saw the sprinkler things and I do not believe they will work. I was outside when they were in the yard and would hit them with the hose and they would just wander off to another area and not be bothered. I know this will be a problem again this year. I was unable to catch the big guy last year. he is a huge one. He walked up to the cage and went half way in and stop and got right back out. Have not seen him since but all his family has been by. Yes they eat more than grubs and worms are a big thing in my lawn. last year they did a number on my lawn twice during the year. The holes are deep too. It will be another battle.
John T.
Heart/lung works better than head. They still leak, but dont spray.

Females den up together in the winter. I've read of groups of up to 12. We took 9 out from under a porch last month. They like sheds and decks better than the woods.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(02-14-2020, 09:51 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Not sure where that point was directed. If it is at owning firearms. I have NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! interest in owning firearms of any kind. If it is because of skunk population, I lived here 40 years and last year was the first year I had that problem. So no moving is in site and in fact a new roof and siding are going on the house this summer. They will carry me out of this house. Will find a better solution for sure.

We have 49 other states and everyone is free to move. I desperately cannot wait until we can move out of Texas (Crematoria) Miserable weather and nothing to do within driving distance. As for the Hole punchers, don't have one but enjoy plinking targets and skeet but not for critters. If I had enough property then I wouldn't mind having them but otherwise don't have a use for one right now. Coyotes are becoming a big problem here as well.

The only way I have found to keep the skunks out here is by physical barriers. Though when they spray anywhere even remotely close say within 1/8 mile you will smell it and if it's windy even further. Another of the reasons you can't keep the windows open on the few nice weather days here. The sprinkler with the motion sensor by Bird-x would be something I would try.
(02-14-2020, 10:29 PM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: If poison isn't effective, trapping is out, how about a fence? From what I understand that could be a bit of work to make it effective since you'd want chicken wire involved, possibly buried a few inches because skunks like to dig. Some varieties can climb fences as well as trees, so that's something to consider. I suppose electric fences are banned, too? Although I imagine aesthetics are important since the lawn being torn up is the primary concern.

I'm reminded of some of the most entertaining videos I've seen in which a gentleman from Australia battles invading housecats that like to kill birds. He set up some clever defenses that are harmless, but pretty effective, at least in confined spaces. Could get pricey for a whole yard.

I used to use electric fence around two gardens in NJ. I removed the electric fencing and installed chicken wire instead. No problem with skunks but major problems with woodchucks ( groundhogs). The electric fence worked well and was not expensive. Zareba is the company that supplied the fencing. They have many different varieties of fencing. I bought a battery operated one for the small garden. A plug in for the other garden. 
Both kept the groundhogs away. The only reason I went with chicken wire was to also use the fencing as a trellis. I can grow a variety of fruits and vegetables vertically to save space. I still have the electric fence components, just in case they are needed.
As far as guns go , mostly they are for some $^*( that wants to take them from me.
Mike , from Trump Country, Southern NJ.
The easiest way to deal with them as you have little choice but deal with them as keeping them away is next to impossible
Is to trap them drop a towel over them and drop them into a water bath.  The old bath I had for them rotted out, might make one
the project for tomorrow.  The dark towel makes moving them slowly fairly easy.  I have seen a solid trap that is supposed to keep them from seeing you
similar to the towel but it's expensive and didn't get great reviews
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Put the trap in a contractor's garbage bag before you catch the skunk.
Matt

-Jack Handy