Bandsaw tire cleaning question
Changed blades today, could believe the crud on the tires.

Anything better than mineral spirits and an old toothbrush?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Depending on what your tires are made of I would not use MS. Urethane should be ok but rubber may soften or swell.
I have a piece of an old brush of some type with a wooden spine screwed to a bracket and bolted inside the saws lower wheel. It is set so it brushes the wheel while it is rotating. This works ok but especially when cutting brass I have to still clean the wheel when changing back to a wood blade.
I have a largish toothbrush shaped stainless steel brush and use it on the bottom wheel with the blade off and the motor running to remove ground in particles. This allows me to do it without actually reaching my fingers into the saw and real close to the wheel. I do the same for the top wheel but just use the other hand to rotate it. The upper wheel never gets that bad.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Off the top of my head, I would say give some Simple Green a try. Good Orange cleaners are pretty good as well.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I use a flat, sharp edged 12" measuring stick and lightly scrap, or use a wire brush.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-15-2020, 08:42 AM)KyleD Wrote: Depending on what your tires are made of I would not use MS. Urethane should be ok but rubber may soften or swell.
I have a piece of an old brush of some type with a wooden spine screwed to a bracket and bolted inside the saws lower wheel. It is set so it brushes the wheel while it is rotating. This works ok but especially when cutting brass I have to still clean the wheel when changing back to a wood blade.
I have a largish toothbrush shaped stainless steel brush and use it on the bottom wheel with the blade off and the motor running to remove ground in particles. This allows me to do it without actually reaching my fingers into the saw and real close to the wheel. I do the same for the top wheel but just use the other hand to rotate it. The upper wheel never gets that bad.
Think resin is close to turps / MS when you think about it, so I use it or Stoddard-solvent (WD40) after resinous wood for the blade - and the tires by default.  A nice brass-bristle flux brush or really stiff old toothbrush does the mechanics of lifting adhering chunks.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Mineral spirits, toothbrush, and shop rag dampened with MS and the tires are now clean. Brush on the bottom wheel cleaned and adjusted for the wear, same for the blade brush after blade leaves cut. Hopefully will not be cutting that many Christmas tree trunks into turning blanks for memory ornaments, so the resin load won’t be as heavy next time.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
i just put a new blade on my delta 14" - while it was down i used denatured etoh and a brass brush to clean the tires.
jerry