"Thick" TBII
I have a bottle of Titebond II that has gotten so thick I can barely squeeze it out of the bottle.  It hasn't frozen or been left with the cap off. The only thing I can think of is that it's been on the shelf too long, but I've had other bottles for a long time and never had them get thick like this before. Can I thin it a bit with water or should I just chuck it and get a fresh bottle?

Phil
Had one like that, threw it in the trash barrel. Mine got frozen last winter.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Glue is too cheap to replace and too expensive when it fails to use questionable glue. Pitch it.
(02-14-2020, 10:10 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I have a bottle of Titebond II that has gotten so thick I can barely squeeze it out of the bottle.  It hasn't frozen or been left with the cap off. The only thing I can think of is that it's been on the shelf too long, but I've had other bottles for a long time and never had them get thick like this before. Can I thin it a bit with water or should I just chuck it and get a fresh bottle?

Phil

Do as you wish, but I'd try to thin it down a bit with a little water, try a couple of "test" glue-ups and see what happens. If the joints don't hold you can always toss it. Just the frugal coming out in me I suppose. 
Yes

Doug
I believe the manufacturer says you can thin with 5% water before you lose any strength. I find that's quite enough, a little water goes a long way. You might use a kitchen scale to measure what you have and multiply whatever it says by 0.05. Or just add a little water at a time and stir to see how it is.

But yeah, maybe test it? If it works, I would try to use it soonish.
It would be prudent to toss it, though freezing doesn't hurt it....at a few times. Franklin says the glue can actually go through 5 freeze/thaw cycles before being damaged. That said, it sounds like the glue is old (?). So, you can test it, or toss it, or contact Franklin amnd see what they say. That might be interesting to know anyway in case you did something to cause the thickening.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wanted more working time for my TB 2. I Read on the net to add water. Worked well.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(02-14-2020, 11:53 PM)gjohn Wrote: Glue is too cheap to replace and too expensive when it fails to use questionable glue. Pitch it.

THIS

Why even think about it?

Wink
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(02-14-2020, 11:53 PM)gjohn Wrote: Glue is too cheap to replace and too expensive when it fails to use questionable glue. Pitch it.

True for finishes too.  After all we put into our work are we really going to cheap-out on glue or top coat?  That's like cheaping-out on hardware.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

My wife gives me a very nice allowance so a new bottle of glue is very cheap....but I hate waste.  I have added water to many bottles through the years.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood