finally got lathe time
curly silver maple and quilt. large bowl is 14 x 4

Very pretty. I like the clean lines.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
That grain really pops. Great job
That is some swell looking wood and the form looks great as well.  Thanks for showing.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Beautiful work Mike. I love the quilted maple!
PVW,
How long did your bowl wood dry before your turned them?
Dave
(02-20-2020, 11:19 AM)med-one Wrote: PVW,
Dave

it varies. Year or more. I like to give them a minimum of 2 years .I have 5 in thick cherry slabs that have been cut and stickered for 7 years. I'd like to start turning some but the biggest ones are 20 wide and 8' long, and I just don't feel like man handling them right now .I like to turn dry wood for the most part. The silver maple has been in the shop for around 4 years. I have a 14 in green cherry burl blank that I hope to turn yet this week. I will also plan to use the Bartleys on it. Depends on how it feels
(02-20-2020, 11:19 AM)med-one Wrote: PVW,
Dave

Since it's been without comment for so long, I'll jump in with the standard TDT (Turn/Dry/Turn) recommendation.  Turn the piece to rough pattern, somewhere around 5/8 to 1" thickness, and take advantage of the fact that wood looses water through end grain 10 times as fast as face grain.  When you rough turn, be sure to round down to the bottom - no "dog dish" pattern- to minimize the face-grain dimension, thus split menace.   Continuous curve helps redirect drying stress as well.  

I'm a mortise hold guy, and lazy to boot, so I don't do weights and dates, I just measure mortise deformation to estimate readiness.  On almost any wood, a shrink of 1/8" across a 2" mortise means the piece is ready for re-turn. Depending on Relative Humidity and thickness, six weeks give or take. Gets the shelf space back to you a lot earlier than a year, risking deep checks.  10-12% cross-grain shrink should be fine even if you're a tenon guy.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Mike, nice to see you on here again!  Nice work!  Hope you and your better half are well.  Also hope to see you at Bedford this fall.  

Chuck
(02-27-2020, 10:43 PM)cbygeorge Wrote: Mike, nice to see you on here again!  Nice work!  Hope you and your better half are well.  Also hope to see you at Bedford this fall.  

Chuck

Hey Chuck. We missed you last fall at Bedford. Are you still carving?