Paste Wax Question
Hi Guys,

Do you like to use a paste wax to keep your finish nice on a kitchen table? If so which wax works the best? I would like to keep the matte finish. 

Thanks

Mike
Not sure what you mean by "keep your finish nice" but wax doesn't offer any real protection and generally shows any finger print and water spot that gets on it.  Paste wax gives a nice feel and soft sheen.  Beyond that, not much. I think the better approach for any surface that will see daily abuse is to use a finish up to the task.  For a kitchen table that would be something like Arm-R-Seal, Waterlox, or other oil based varnish, at a minimum, or a catalyzed finish if you want even higher durability.  

John
(02-16-2020, 12:29 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not sure what you mean by "keep your finish nice" but wax doesn't offer any real protection and generally shows any finger print and water spot that gets on it.  Paste wax gives a nice feel and soft sheen.  Beyond that, not much. I think the better approach for any surface that will see daily abuse is to use a finish up to the task.  For a kitchen table that would be something like Arm-R-Seal, Waterlox, or other oil based varnish, at a minimum, or a catalyzed finish if you want even higher durability.  

John

Oooops. It already has a finish on it. This was a table I had built at the Amish store before I could get my new shop done. They suggest waxing it to keep it looking good. I've never waxed furniture I've made but I also never built a kitchen table where it gets more abuse than bedroom and living room stuff that I have built.
(02-16-2020, 05:17 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Oooops. It already has a finish on it. This was a table I had built at the Amish store before I could get my new shop done. They suggest waxing it to keep it looking good. I've never waxed furniture I've made but I also never built a kitchen table where it gets more abuse than bedroom and living room stuff that I have built.

The best you can do is keep it clean and dry.  Wax isn't going to improve the performance of the finish.  But it won't hurt it either, so if you want to try it go to it.  Then judge for yourself.  
John
I like furniture paste wax for our dinning room table but we use a table cloth over it! Have used both Minwax & J&J floor wax on both furniture & wood turning over clear wood film finishes. You don't have to buy the expensive stuff out there some brands are better over milk painted items but I don't wax anything I paint.
https://www.artsandcraftscollector.com/c...sh-or-oil/

I avoid furniture polishes or scented or other oils they contain silicone in them and make refinishing a bear to do.
Bill
If the finish has never seen wax, then when it shows wear you can scuff it up and apply another coat on top of it.  But once it is waxed you pretty much have to sand down to bare wood before finishing.

And that would go for any spray dust/wax that has silicone as an ingredient.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-17-2020, 08:14 AM)Cooler Wrote: If the finish has never seen wax, then when it shows wear you can scuff it up and apply another coat on top of it.  But once it is waxed you pretty much have to sand down to bare wood before finishing.

And that would go for any spray dust/wax that has silicone as an ingredient.

You can remove wax with mineral spirits or better yet Naptha.  Even silicone waxes can be removed this way if you are patient and change to a new cloth several times.  Once you are satisfied you've done the best you can to remove the wax a coat of dewaxed shellac will seal in any that you didn't get, and then you can refinish.   

There may be valid reasons to strip or sand off an old finish but wax can be dealt with without such extreme measures.  

John
Sanding down the finish can drive wax deeper into wood surface because sanding heats up the wax. Could try solution of 1 cup vinegar 1 tablespoon cream of tartar to make natural abrasive. Apply to dampen cloth and gently wipe wax off in direction of the grain. Rinse with cloth with plain water. Wipe dry with clean cloth.

One reason like simple J & J, Minwax paste wax’s doesn’t contain silicone. Mineral spirits added to soften wax providing ease of application & quicker drying time before wiping & buffing. Don’t recommend using auto wax unless you know doesn’t contain silicone!

Just about all spray furniture polishes contain silicone. Which might be okay for particle board furniture with a photo finish but over time will cause cracking. Some of those spray polishes can hurt your clear film finish on wood furniture.

Refinishing shop worked at always assumed solid wood furniture exposed to polishes & other products contained silicone contamination. Depended upon finishing material on the piece, wood species and amount of damage to repair. Owner strive to spot repair defects without much sanding and had an assortment of products he used wipe down the piece.

If your procedure works for you continue to march!
Bill
(02-17-2020, 10:31 AM)jteneyck Wrote: You can remove wax with mineral spirits or better yet Naptha.  Even silicone waxes can be removed this way if you are patient and change to a new cloth several times.  Once you are satisfied you've done the best you can to remove the wax a coat of dewaxed shellac will seal in any that you didn't get, and then you can refinish.   

There may be valid reasons to strip or sand off an old finish but wax can be dealt with without such extreme measures.  

John
I would argue that with silicone at least that is not true.  The solvent will manage to move around the silicone and remove some, but not all of it.

In the early 1980s, Plymouth Neons and Dodge Neons all had paint peeling issues.  The manufacturer of the stamping oil had silicone contamination in the oil.  Plymouth and Dodge paid for re-paints but they all peeled again anyway.

Even with the instructions from the manufacturer to be extra vigilant on the cleaning operations did not solve that problem.  I worked for the competitor of the oil company that supplied the oil.  From that day forward no one was permitted to bring in any sample containing silicone to the factory or office.  It was the first thing they would say when they greeted you, "Do you have any silicone products or products that contain silicone with you?  If so, please return those to your car."

If you are angry at a neighbor and they have a fender bender, then spray the fender with silicone spray.  The repair will be unsatisfactory time after time.  Even the body putty may fall off. 

I do think that naptha + washing + naptha + washing will remove wax.  But since most modern finishes to not enjoy much or any benefit from the wax, I would avoid it there too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.