Polished tools
Really make the tools sharp.

For Christmas every year we exchange gifts in the family and my daughter bought me two 3/16z12z12 pieces of veggie tanned leather and I made them into this power polisher.

I touched the tool to the palm of my hand and it split the skin just like I said touching it.  I used it yesterday and the gouge stayed sharp along time or longer then normally.

I cut the 12x12's into 4 equal squares and then taken them to drill each of them on the drill press with a block of wood underneath and used a forstner bit to drill the size of the bar.  I used rubber T8000 to glue it all together and sandwiched it all between two pieces of wood clamped together to keep it from spreading apart while it was on the shaft. 

Here is what I made.

I used an old shaft that held 3 of the polishing wheels and it works great and the length going out makes it nice to instead of being close to the head stock.

Of course I turn it in reverse if anyone is wondering.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-16-2020, 03:22 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Really make the tools sharp.

For Christmas every year we exchange gifts in the family and my daughter bought me two 3/16z12z12 pieces of veggie tanned leather and I made them into this power polisher.

I touched the tool to the palm of my hand and it split the skin just like I said touching it.  I used it yesterday and the gouge stayed sharp along time or longer then normally.

I cut the 12x12's into 4 equal squares and then taken them to drill each of them on the drill press with a block of wood underneath and used a forstner bit to drill the size of the bar.  I used rubber T8000 to glue it all together and sandwiched it all between two pieces of wood clamped together to keep it from spreading apart while it was on the shaft. 

Here is what I made.

I used an old shaft that held 3 of the polishing wheels and it works great and the length going out makes it nice to instead of being close to the head stock.

Of course I turn it in reverse if anyone is wondering.

You just can't get 'em any sharper than you can with a leather wheel, Arlin...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very cool Arlin. Enlighten this city boy. What is Veggie tanned leather?
Well this country boy does not know either.  Just what it said.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-18-2020, 11:04 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Well this country boy does not know either.  Just what it said.

LOL -  well I googled and it says the method tanned with is all natural - products like tree bark to tan it.  Learn something new everyday

Looks like a nice setup - I havent tried polishing but  Ido have a leather wheel on my jet wet grinder - might have to try it
I have a stropping wheel (it's paper). Touching up an edge for chisels and plane blades takes seconds. Like maybe 5 sec. I use if for my skew chisels for turning and it makes life a whole lot easier.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-18-2020, 12:14 PM)Wipedout Wrote: LOL -  well I googled and it says the method tanned with is all natural - products like tree bark to tan it.  Learn something new everyday

Looks like a nice setup - I havent tried polishing but  Ido have a leather wheel on my jet wet grinder - might have to try it

I highly encourage you to do it and use the yellow bar that carvers use on it while turning.  You will be VERY impressed with the results and sharpness.