Loc-tite Blue (Permatex blue)
As part of a table saw arbor rebuild, I removed cap screws and other fasteners that had been treated with Loc-tite Blue.    What's the best way to clean the threads that show the remnants of the product? (I'd like to clean the fasteners before attempting re-assembly.) I'd be grateful for your suggestions on what cleaner to use and how to do the job!  Thanks!
For external threads use a wire wheel (power) or wire brush (by hand). Internal threads use a tap. You don't really have to remove the old locktite. If using locktite again just put a drop on the external threads and tighten. Locktite sets up in the absents of oxygen, that is why a new container will be only half full. Once locktite sets up and then tightening the bolt / nut a little more you break the "lock" and should be re-applied.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Lacquer thinner or acetone should break it down
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-16-2020, 04:17 PM)jihhwood Wrote: As part of a table saw arbor rebuild, I removed cap screws and other fasteners that had been treated with Loc-tite Blue.    What's the best way to clean the threads that show the remnants of the product? (I'd like to clean the fasteners before attempting re-assembly.) I'd be grateful for your suggestions on what cleaner to use and how to do the job!  Thanks!

I've used heat from a heat gun to loosen Blue Loctite. I did not bother to clean the threads. If you want to clean the threads maybe running a tap or even a nut on the threads may clean some of the Loctite. Usually Blue Loctite can be undone by a single pull on a wrench or screw driver.
I needed heat because the bolts were hard to get at and only my fingers could spin the nuts off.
mike
Thanks for the suggestions!