Dust Collector is dead.
Yesterday morning before I cleaned the tires on the bandsaw I turned on the Oneida 2hp 220 volt DC to vacuum all the interior dust from the bandsaw. It worked fine.  Cleaned the tires and dislodged more dust turned on the DC and nothing. Checked the breaker it was fine, bandsaw is on same breaker. To day I took apart the switch and plug box to check all the connections, they are all tight. Did the same with the motor connections, they are all tight. Turned the breaker back on and the bandsaw runs but no DC.

What else should I look for before calling the electrician?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Wiggle switch
Wiggle plugin

Do you have an amp meter?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

my Oneida doesn't have a switch, what model do you have?

I would also guess the switch.  I don't think motors or motor caps go quite that quietly
(02-16-2020, 05:40 PM)stoppy Wrote: Did the same with the motor connections, they are all tight.

Can you check voltage at the motor connections with the power on?  As Eric said, they don’t usually go so quietly.  

Tight connections doesn’t mean continuity through those connections.  No humming means a cap didn’t blow.  No sound at all means no power at all, or at least not in a complete circuit.

You could also check DC resistance across the motor leads, inside the motor’s junction box.  If infinite resistance, something let go inside the motor, but I’d bet your read something like 1-2 ohms.

Oh, and it’s possible there’s a thermal overload inside, especially if the unit doesn’t have a motor control with O/L protection, though I don’t know what motor you have. If it’s toast, will allow no current to flow. Look for a manual reset button.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(02-16-2020, 05:54 PM)EricU Wrote: my Oneida doesn't have a switch, what model do you have?

I would also guess the switch.  I don't think motors or motor caps go quite that quietly

The Oneida didn’t have a switch. I asked the electrician to create a switched plugin. Will try wiggling the switch as I thought the same thing that it wouldn’t quit so quietly. 

It is a three item box, two plug receptacles one for 110 for the bandsaw, one 220 for the DC and the on off switch for the 220 DC plug in. All this comes off the 220 breaker. The wiring is way beyond me.
Jim

There is a good chance
Tom the motor is a Leeson. Original on the equipment.

Went out and wiggled switch and plug. Still nothing. Will give the next door neighbor a call tomorrow, he has the testing equipment and we’ll find where we have power.
Jim

There is a good chance
(02-16-2020, 07:07 PM)stoppy Wrote: It is a three item box, two plug receptacles one for 110 for the bandsaw, one 220 for the DC and the on off switch for the 220 DC plug in. All this comes off the 220 breaker. The wiring is way beyond me.

This is where I’d look first.  There’s a big inrush when you switch it on, and a big if not bigger arc event when you switch it off, as motors (inductive loads, really) don’t like being shut off.  All that arcing and sparking is tough on contacts, especially if they’re not motor rated.  Not a lot of conventional snap switches rated for 2 hp or more, though they do exist.

Same as checking for voltage at the motor leads.  Both sets of leads, since at 240V, both incoming mains leads are hot.

Since this receptacle is switched, you could also just check voltage at the receptacle, of course. Assuming you have a multimeter or wiggy or some other such device.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
My father is spinning in his grave. Farm boy son checked the switch plug and motor connections but did not take the cover off the plug to check the plug wires. DC is up and running with a new plug, black wire fried the inside of the plug.

Thanks for all the tips, turned out to be minor.
Jim

There is a good chance
Could've happened to anyone - glad you found the problem and it is minor!
Smile

Doug
(02-17-2020, 12:35 PM)stoppy Wrote: My father is spinning in his grave.  Farm boy son checked the switch plug and motor connections but did not take the cover off the plug to check the plug wires.  DC is up and running with a new plug, black wire fried the inside of the plug.

Thanks for all the tips, turned out to be minor.

Funny as I was reading this from the start I got the idea that might be it as the bandsaw only takes one side of the 220 in the box
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.