Cribbage board for sister in law
I’m new here. There was some sort of weird glitch where I was verified but couldn’t post or PM.

For Christmas with my wife’s family we always do a secret Santa. So I had an idea to build a cribbage for my sister in law. The lumber yard that I have been going to in Trenton was having a sale so I decided to go out and get the wood for the board.

After spending about 2nor 3 hours going around all the different woods the offered. I decided on hard maple, walnut, padauk, and sapele.

I wanted to try out my smoothing plane on the wood so I could get one side edge flat so I could use the table saw to clean up the other side. I have/ had limited tools for to use for this and it was my first project making something from scratch. I have done several custom skateboards but that is pretty easy.

I ended up not using the sapele for the board but I think it turned out really nice I put a coat of mineral oil on all the surfaces and then did a quick clear coat to give it some protection. For the first woodworking project I think it came out nicely.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice board. Brings back memories of when I drilled them in thick slab pine coffee tables; they had a routed a chess board too. B.T.W Is that the right jack!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Nice job! You did really well with the hole alignments. That's a lot of drilling.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
(02-17-2020, 10:46 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Nice board. Brings back memories of when I drilled them in thick slab pine coffee tables; they had a routed a chess board too. B.T.W Is that the right jack!

Yes it is. That was a staged picture, however when we started playing my sister in law did have a hand like that and basically wiped the floor with me.
When it is a job you enjoy it is not work.  I don't play Cribbage so all that drilling would be a lot of work to me.

Nice looking board, but I noticed an unusual (at least to me) finish combination: " mineral oil on all the surfaces and then did a quick clear coat".  What did you use for the clear coat?  
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I used a light layer of spray on acrylic.