Table /chair touchup finish repair
Hello all,
I recently purchased a used kitchen table and chairs, that is a bookmatched walnut slab top and walnut/ fabric chairs. The set is manufactured by Simply Amish in USA.
There are a few dings, rub marks etc. that I would like to re-touch up with some finish, and was wondering what would be the best to use in this situation?
According to the manuf. website, they use a catalyzed conversion varnish for their finish.
For doing small repairs, will any other type finish stick to this if it is cleaned properly, scuffed, sanded etc.? There are just small dings etc. on chair and table legs and sides all pretty small areas. The top of the table is fine and does not need any repair.
Thank You for looking , and your suggestions.
Gordon
(02-18-2020, 08:37 AM)gordon 131 Wrote: Hello all,
I recently purchased a used kitchen table and chairs, that is a bookmatched walnut slab top and walnut/ fabric chairs. The set is manufactured by Simply Amish in USA.
There are a few dings, rub marks etc. that I would like to re-touch up with some finish, and was wondering what would be the best to use in this situation?
According to the manuf. website, they use a catalyzed conversion varnish for their finish.
For doing small repairs, will any other type finish stick to this if it is cleaned properly, scuffed, sanded etc.? There are just small dings etc. on chair and table legs and sides all pretty small areas. The top of the table is fine and does not need any repair.
Thank You for looking , and your suggestions.
Gordon

92 views and not a single reply uhhmmm?
must be something in this post that is not right with the forum?
(03-01-2020, 05:58 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: 92 views and not a single reply uhhmmm?
must be something in this post that is not right with the forum?

Not many here use conversion varnish.  I've read it's hard to repair but have no experience with it.  

John
(03-01-2020, 07:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Not many here use conversion varnish.  I've read it's hard to repair but have no experience with it.  

John

Thanks , John kinda finding this out. Took a chair in to a refinish/repair shop here in town from this set. Had one of the chairs jump out of the pickup on the way home, got some pretty bad road rash . Travis at the repair shop did an excellent job of repairing the wood and finish on this chair . I asked him what he used and he showed me the can. It is a product from Mohawk called Perfect Blend Lacquer. He said he loves this stuff for repairs, critical to use light , light coats until you get a little build. Anyway the repair he did looks awesome , so maybe I will try it with the other repairs.
Thanks
Gordon
(03-01-2020, 10:04 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: Thanks , John kinda finding this out. Took a chair in to a refinish/repair shop here in town from this set. Had one of the chairs jump out of the pickup on the way home, got some pretty bad road rash . Travis at the repair shop did an excellent job of repairing the wood and finish on this chair . I asked him what he used and he showed me the can. It is a product from Mohawk called Perfect Blend Lacquer. He said he loves this stuff for repairs, critical to use light , light coats until you get a little build. Anyway the repair he did looks awesome , so maybe I will try it with the other repairs.
Thanks
Gordon

Thanks for the follow up post Gordon.  Let us know if the Perfect Blend Lacquer misbehaves with the conversion varnish.  I had no clue it would be compatible.  I'm going to go look the stuff up now based on your post.  

John

And here it is, in a spray can no less:  Perfect Blend Lacquer
(03-02-2020, 03:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks for the follow up post Gordon.  Let us know if the Perfect Blend Lacquer misbehaves with the conversion varnish.  I had no clue it would be compatible.  I'm going to go look the stuff up now based on your post.  

John

And here it is, in a spray can no less:  Perfect Blend Lacquer

thats the stuff John, light coats are the key
gordon