Sweet little guys
Thumbs Up 
I can't help myself...I just love the little guys...Here's a shot of a small number I have collected over many years. The smaller the better...These are mostly Starrett and B&S....but I have some that were patented in 1860's.......

What do you have???

[Image: fullsizeoutput-b7b.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a bigger one much like the one on the left.   I like touching it but I haven't worked it into my dovetails etc.  I usually have some weirdness in my dovetail spacings
Smile

Chris
Chris
Here is one cute little bugger that I have.

Timberwolf: nice selection.  The two calipers at the top have nicely gizmotic fine adjustments.

Here are my offerings, all snuggled in the loving arms of my largest (12") outside calipers (Starrett, 1895 patent date but no model number stamping; I could probably track down the model in my catalog, but lots to do today):

From left to right:
3" Starrett outside calipers
2" Lufkin dividers (my favorite machinist's tool company)
3-1/4" Starrett dividers, a style I can't find in either my 1954 catalog (thanks, Uncle Charlie!) or the current web listings - I wonder when they made them?
2-1/4" Lufkin (yay!) inside calipers, purchased recently after I had to measure a slot for which my existing inside calipers were too large, in a spot where I couldn't put slide calipers
2-5/8" engineer's square, from a set of five made in some unnamed country; useful surprisingly often
2-1/2" adjustable bevel, which frustrates me because it's hard to lock securely; it would have been improved by making the knurled portion taller for more grip
Slide caliper from Brown & Sharpe (my second favorite machinist's tool company); measuring outside up to just shy of 2-1/8", inside to a little larger, and with a 3" rule on the back, it goes in my jeans pocket when I'm headed to the hardware store and expect to need to make a small measurement
Dividers..

Calipers

That'll hold ya, until I dig out the rest of the pile..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
[attachment=24222]Here are my little guys. The outer ones are Starrett. The center one is brass with some kind of makers mark, but I have no idea who made it.
(02-20-2020, 01:45 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Timberwolf: nice selection.  The two calipers at the top have nicely gizmotic fine adjustments.

Here are my offerings, all snuggled in the loving arms of my largest (12") outside calipers (Starrett, 1895 patent date but no model number stamping; I could probably track down the model in my catalog, but lots to do today):

From left to right:
3-1/4" Starrett dividers, a style I can't find in either my 1954 catalog (thanks, Uncle Charlie!) or the current web listings - I wonder when they made them?
2-1/4" Lufkin (yay!) inside calipers, purchased recently after I had to measure a slot for which my existing inside calipers were too large, in a spot where I couldn't put slide calipers
2-5/8" engineer's square, from a set of five made in some unnamed country; useful surprisingly often
2-1/2" adjustable bevel, which frustrates me because it's hard to lock securely; it would have been improved by making the knurled portion taller for more grip
Slide caliper from Brown & Sharpe (my second favorite machinist's tool company); measuring outside up to just shy of 2-1/8", inside to a little larger, and with a 3" rule on the back, it goes in my jeans pocket when I'm headed to the hardware store and expect to need to make a small measurement

Thats a nice collection..big and little...I just looked in another tool chest and found these..I haven't looked in this chest in over a year..And there's still a couple more drawers to investigate...These are all "jumbled" up and in no order whatsoever...different makers, mostly B&S and Starrett, some French and some unknowns..I keep all these in my office but have two tool cabinets in the shop with lots of precision tools in them...Most purchased at flea markets and some from tool meets, estate sales etc. Strange but Lufkin is not well represented in my collection but somewhere I have my first micrometer..a one inch Lufkin I used as a boy in the machine shop. I would like to find that bugger again...
Big Grin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-b7f.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-20-2020, 01:45 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Timberwolf: nice selection.  The two calipers at the top have nicely gizmotic fine adjustments.

From left to right:
I wanted to point out a couple that I believe are worth singling out.....The small caliper is inside/outside combination and has a rather unusual beam locking mechanism..no mame that I can find....The larger caliper has two locking screws and a very odd "fine adjustment" feature... It has a very light stamp with Athol, Mass and the date 1885...so I assume this to be the forerunner of Starrett..I have never seen any other examples of tools like these, but that's what drives us all to keep searching....eh???
Winkgrin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-b81.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

My small group, from L to R, Millers Falls, Starrett, PEXTO (top) Sergent (bottom), PEXTO, and the two on the right are Craftsman that I purchased when I worked in a machine shop over 45 years ago. I have a 4” Starrett that wasn’t in the drawer where it should be, so I’m hoping it didn’t ‘walk’ away.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-20-2020, 08:37 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: My small group, from L to R, Millers Falls, Starrett, PEXTO (top) Sergent (bottom), PEXTO, and the two on the right are Craftsman that I purchased when I worked in a machine shop over 45 years ago. I have a 4” Starrett that wasn’t in the drawer where it should be, so I’m hoping it didn’t ‘walk’ away.

I see what appears to be a "loose-leg" Starrett third from the right...Maybe a Stanley tho....they look very much alike.,..One of the best styles made IMO........
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset