Lie-Nielsen Honing guide and Off-brand tools?
(02-20-2020, 09:43 AM)hbmcc Wrote: My worry is the two are so similar that the smaller chisels I can't control freehand, due to incompatibility with the E-type, will still share the same problems on the LN. 

I don't know what kind of smaller chisels you are thinking about, but the shorter butt chisels often won't register in the ecplise, which is why I keep a General knockoff of the Stanley 200 hanging around.  One recently sold here:  https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7346020

Here's a 2 1/2" blade length butt chisel in mine:

[Image: 49561080483_ec362be828_b.jpg]

[Image: 49561080578_5b47265460_b.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-18-2020, 04:05 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I have been using the LN guide for years and it has proven to be an excellent addition to my sharpening arsenal.  

I have a couple of honing guides but haven't used them for years. I generally hone freehand. Small chisels under 1/2" wide I use a wood wedge jig I made when I was young. I cut the wedge to angle needed, 25° I think.  Then plow out 3 areas 1/8" / 3/16" / and a 1/4"  wide and about 1/4" deep. maybe 1-1/2" long. The total length is about 4" long and 1/2" deep x 2" wide rabbet removed for the handles. Dimensions are approximate since I am not in the  shop right now.
The sharp end of he wedge is cut off to 3/16" or so. 
I install a chisel, slide down til it hits the stone. Then hone the bevel. The rabbet keeps the chisel at a  constant angle. I do not bother with secondary bevels so 25° works for most chisels. 
mike
(02-21-2020, 07:44 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I have a couple of honing guides but haven't used them for years. I generally hone freehand. Small chisels under 1/2" wide I use a wood wedge jig I made when I was young. I cut the wedge to angle needed, 25° I think.  Then plow out 3 areas 1/8" / 3/16" / and a 1/4"  wide and about 1/4" deep. maybe 1-1/2" long. The total length is about 4" long and 1/2" deep x 2" wide rabbet removed for the handles. Dimensions are approximate since I am not in the  shop right now.
The sharp end of he wedge is cut off to 3/16" or so. 
I install a chisel, slide down til it hits the stone. Then hone the bevel. The rabbet keeps the chisel at a  constant angle. I do not bother with secondary bevels so 25° works for most chisels. 
mike

I think I picture the description you wrote. If correct, you could work three tools at one time.
Big Grin  Do you have a sled it rides on to avoid abrasion from the stones?