Cross-grain Trim Attachment
I thought I would mention something about attaching trim to the side of a case, which results in cross-grain attachment.  
Using a dovetailed key, the trim is free to move independent of the side of the carcass. It was not as difficult as I had imagined it would be.  A new tool in my woodworking arsenal.  

If you are making the molding yourself, then use a tongue and groove router set to add a tongue to the molding and a groove to the board.  Glue in place.  This is face grain to face grain and the trim will never part from the piece. 

I admit the sliding dovetail seems elegant, but the attachment of the dovetail with screws and glue will not be as strong as the glue only joint of the tongue and groove.  Also the tongue and groove will be faster and easier to execute.

They are available in many thicknesses.

[Image: 718Dg3poNdL._AC_SX450_.jpg][Image: ad7c41c7-3e3d-4065-924b-bf0f1373de2c.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Unless I am missing something, this will not deal with a cross grain situation. Your trim riding in the slot is long to long grain: all is good. But when you attach to the cross grain of the carcass side, all is not good. The method I described allows the side of the carcass to expand and contract independent of the trim. I don't think your method would allow that.

(02-19-2020, 04:33 PM)Cooler Wrote: If you are making the molding yourself, then use a tongue and groove router set to add a tongue to the molding and a groove to the board.  Glue in place.  This is face grain to face grain and the trim will never part from the piece. 

I admit the sliding dovetail seems elegant, but the attachment of the dovetail with screws and glue will not be as strong as the glue only joint of the tongue and groove.  Also the tongue and groove will be faster and easier to execute.

They are available in many thicknesses.

[Image: 718Dg3poNdL._AC_SX450_.jpg][Image: ad7c41c7-3e3d-4065-924b-bf0f1373de2c.jpg]
I'd just hit it with a pin nailer and call it a day.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Ha: I had considered that, but there was not enough of a challenge
Smile

(02-19-2020, 04:52 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I'd just hit it with a pin nailer and call it a day.
Well done.  I think that's the best solution.

John
And here is pic after glue-up and rough sanding:

(02-19-2020, 04:40 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Unless I am missing something, this will not deal with a cross grain situation.  Your trim riding in the slot is long to long grain: all is good. But when you attach to the cross grain of the carcass side, all is not good.  The method I described allows the side of the carcass to expand and contract independent of the trim. I don't think your method would allow that.  

Yes the ends will be end grain, but the tongues will be face grain.  And that will be plenty strong enough, and stronger than the screw attachment of dovetail.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A good solution and one I use myself. On some of the larger trim that I use on my green and green pieces I will glue the front two or three inches and use a screw in slot at the rear from the inside. Same concept and a good solution for allowing for movement. The dovetail provides a good tight fit against the case and I prefer this method.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I was amazed at how tight a fit I ended up with using the dovetail key. Prior to gluing the keys onto the carcass they were held with screws and were not giving me great confidence that this would be sturdy enough. But once the DT keys were glued and screwed in place: the fit was perfect.

(02-20-2020, 01:26 PM)GeeDub Wrote: A good solution and when I use myself. On some of the larger trim that I use on my green and green pieces I will glue the front two or three inches and use a screw in slot at the rear from the inside. Same concept and a good solution for allowing for movement. The dovetail provides a good tight fit against the case and I prefer this method.