Veritas bevel-up jack rabbet with shooting grip
Anyone used the optional shooting grip with their bevel-up jack? I'm debating pulling the trigger. I do think that for more than $45 they could have found some more attractive mounting screws. That'll be the first thing I change if I order it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
I have that same grip on my LV miter shooting plane-very comfortable and beats a "hot dog" style hands down!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
One question and one observation, have you converted your Jack rabbet plane to work as a shooting plane? I know Derek did with his, but I thought he did that more as proof it could be done than anything. If it has been converted, my thoughts are that this would have little, if any benefit on the Jack rabbet. It already has a pivoting tote, just like the Veritas Shooting Board plane has, so I would expect that the tote would work fine as is.
(02-21-2020, 09:18 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: One question and one observation, have you converted your Jack rabbet plane to work as a shooting plane? I know Derek did with his, but I thought he did that more as proof it could be done than anything. If it has been converted, my thoughts are that this would have little, if any benefit on the Jack rabbet. It already has a pivoting tote, just like the Veritas Shooting Board plane has, so I would expect that the tote would work fine as is.

Currently, my Veritas shooting plane is on eBay to fund the Veritas jack rabbet. I didn't use the shooting plane enough to justify keeping it and the Veritas jack rabbet is pretty pricey so selling the shooting plane made sense. I've got the Veritas jack rabbet along with the variable angle fence in the Lee Valley shopping cart and I'm debating adding the shooting grip. I know that having a grip right above the blade on a shooting plane gives nice control. I had a Lie Nielsen no9 and the hotdog gave great control. Same for my LN 62 with hotdog -- which I still have.

If I use the rear tote on the Veritas jack for shooting, I have to use it with a captive shooting board, just because of the physics involved with the rear tote so far from the cutting edge. I have the Veritas shooting track so that isn't an issue. Just trying to weigh the different options for gripping the jack rabbet when using it as a shooting plane. It's nice to purchase everything at one time, especially with free shipping.
Makes sense to consolidate planes so they can multitask, but putting my original question differently, you can’t just use a Jack rabbet plane as a shooting plane without adding some type of base to it. Here is what Derek wrote about how he did it.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html
(02-21-2020, 10:24 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Makes sense to consolidate planes so they can multitask, but putting my original question differently, you can’t just use a Jack rabbet plane as a shooting plane without adding some type of base to it. Here is what Derek wrote about how he did it.
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html
Understood. That has always been part of my consideration. I'm currently debating whether to build the subbase using wood, steel, brass or a polymer. I'll probably build a temporary base out of wood initially and make one out of metal or a polymer later if I decide that I'd like something more solid.
(02-21-2020, 08:58 AM)dave brown Wrote: Anyone used the optional shooting grip with their bevel-up jack? I'm debating pulling the trigger. I do think that for more than $45 they could have found some more attractive mounting screws. That'll be the first thing I change if I order it.

Dave, there are alternatives.

Have a look here for hotdog handles I made many years ago. 

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...0LAJ1.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...0pics.html

[Image: A_Hotdog_for_the_LV_LAJ1_html_1a7f2afc.jpg]

I made a bunch of these all those years ago. Some here may still have one ...

[Image: Building_the_Hotdog_Mk_II_for_the_LV_LA_...f4b59f.jpg]

We we using shooting boards without side fences to trap the plane. The side fence makes a big difference in control. 

I stopped using a handle when I realised that there was a correct way to hold a LV LA Jack - it has a dimple on the top, and this can be used as an indent/grip for the thumb. I wrote about this method holding in an article on my website. This is part of it ....

The correct way (in my opinion) of holding the LAJ (and shooting planes generally), is to exert downforce at a central point while simultaneously exerting low lateral sideforce. One must not attempt to simply push the plane against the sidewall to the shooting board. This will unbalance the plane and cause it to cant over.

[Image: ShootingPlanesCompared_html_309f013.jpg]

Downforce is applied by the thumb directly into the dimpled fingerhole. Sideforce is applied by the four fingertips pushing from under the levercap.

This handhold is quite comfortable and makes the LAJ a practical user without a hotdog. Indeed, there is the potential for someone to grasp a hotdog (whether on the LV or LN LAJ planes) and attempt to push it against the fence from high (and not use their fingers to maintain sideways pressure from low).

Contributing to “tippiness” is the amount of “run up” to the board that is used. Many – both experienced and novices alike – would draw the plane back to the start of the runway, and then push it forward fast in an attempt to create momentum, as if this was necessary to power through the end grain. Shooting in this manner would lead to user losing control of the plane.

What is necessary for control is minimum run up. Place the plane with the blade nearly touching the near edge of the board, and then simply push the plane forward, with even pressure and firmly. Since the shaving removed is very fine, a plane with a sharp blade will cut without much effort. Once this was understood, the extra mass of the LAJ was an advantage over the more stable #9.

Another way to go is to use the handle I made for the Veritas Custom #7. 

[Image: VeritasCustomPlanes2_html_m31cbd015.jpg]

[Image: VeritasCustomPlanes2_html_33bdec4a.jpg]

This works extremely well (hooked by the thumb).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Bevel up Low Angle Jack or Bevel up Jack Rabbet? If the former, you'll need to drill and tap holes for he shooting grip. It's made to be mounted into the same holes as the fence for the Bevel up Jack Rabbet plane.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If using a rabbet plane on a shooting board, wouldn't you be constantly planing off he guide edge on the shooting board?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-23-2020, 06:21 PM)AHill Wrote: Bevel up Low Angle Jack or Bevel up Jack Rabbet?  If the former, you'll need to drill and tap holes for he shooting grip.   It's made to be mounted into the same holes as the fence for the Bevel up Jack Rabbet plane.

(02-24-2020, 05:46 AM)Tony Z Wrote: If using a rabbet plane on a shooting board, wouldn't you be constantly planing off he guide edge on the shooting board?
This was discussed earlier in this thread.