Latest trend in kitchen cabinetry
I see a lot of painted cabinets while inspecting homes. Generally the original cabinets were builder's grade. Plywood door panels, red oak rails, stiles and face-frames. So the cabinets were dark to start with. Dark cabinets and dark kitchen and the kiss of death in a home sale unless there's plenty of light. Most kitchens only have one window for light. The cheap, easy fix is to paint them a pleasing light color.

Whatever is on HDTV is what's happening in houses. Dark, wide plank laminate and vinyl plank flooring. Subway tile, white and grey colors and pastel cabinets. I see a lot of lowers painted different colors than uppers.

What really surprises me is the Chinese made white, birch and MDF cabinets in brand new high end homes.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

If one waits long enough, whatever kitchen you have will be back in style. Chasing trends is for flippers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-26-2020, 12:38 PM)Admiral Wrote:  Chasing trends is for flippers.

And wives

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(02-21-2020, 08:43 PM)EricU Wrote: can't argue with that.  If I'm still around when this house gets sold, we are going to do something with the kitchen.  My wife likes it the way it is, but dark wood is not exactly in style.  Tried to talk her into painting the cabinets, but no go

And I just put in a dark kitchen in our new house, and we stained the oak floors dark too.  The previous house had natural oak cabinets and slightly darker than natural oak floors.  The darker colors look "richer" to me.  And we put in enough lighting that nothing looks closed in. 

Can't stand painted cabinets.  They do look nice in some kitchens, just not for me.

Sorry for the sideways pic.

Attached Files Image(s)

Time is not measured by a watch, but by moments.
I think trends often follow the economy. White painted "off the shelf" cabinets were cheaper than hardwoods. So people bought them. Now they're about the same price as hardwoods because the manufacturers can get it. Almost all cabinets I see in new homes are shipped from China unless it's a custom home. And most in custom homes are built in China also. A lot of birch.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

My solid wood (no ply) cabinets built solidly in 1957 were already painted when we bought the house. I painted the uppers white and the lowers a fairly bold green because that's what I like.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(02-28-2020, 09:20 AM)MsNomer Wrote: My solid wood (no ply) cabinets built solidly in 1957 were already painted when we bought the house.  I painted the uppers white and the lowers a fairly bold green because that's what I like.

^^^^^^^^^^  Do what YOU like. 

Right on Carolyn!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-21-2020, 02:37 PM)Cooler Wrote: This appears to be a vanity.  I suppose it could migrate into the kitchen.  To me, this is just ugly.
[Image: 914867103c726a8de09aaccf7388f2bb--maple-...-doors.jpg]

Agree on the ugly. Makes me think of the caveman with his club on his shoulder
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

We just recently bought a house and the walls are a light grey and we will slowly be changing over the appliances to stainless steel. We have thought about painting the cabinets white they are currently a pine color and with the dark floors they just do not match. Probably do white with dark hardware.