Grizzly 0513X 17 in bandsaw small issue
From the day I got this saw ove 12 years ago the blade guide post has been hard to raise and sometimes it even balks at lowering.  Today I couldn't raise to get clearance for a resawing project.  I noticed it is binding in the holder.  Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has the same saw and had the same issue before calling Grizzly.  If you have the same saw did you have any issue raising and lowering the guide post to clear a workpiece? And how did you solve it?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(02-21-2020, 03:15 PM)stoppy Wrote: From the day I got this saw ove 12 years ago the blade guide post has been hard to raise and sometimes it even balks at lowering.  Today I couldn't raise to get clearance for a resawing project.  I noticed it is binding in the holder.  Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has the same saw and had the same issue before calling Grizzly.  If you have the same saw did you have any issue raising and lowering the guide post to clear a workpiece? And how did you solve it?

I have an older 16" grizzly bandsaw that was discontinued for the 17" models. When I got the saw I had a similar problem. I removed the guide bar and checked for burrs etc. I found scratches on the guide bar, not deep but I figured there was something in the cast holder that caused the scratches and the difficulty moving the bar up and down. I could feel something with a finger , I took a file to the cast holder. One push and the culprit fell out. Small piece of swarf from the machining of the holder caused the problems. I lapped the guide bar on 600 grit paper til the bar felt smooth. Did not bother to lap the score marks out. I sprayed DRICOTE on the bar and installed it. 
I've had this saw since about 1988 and no problems except to replace a switch one time. Try what I did, probably will solve your problem.

mike
Try Mike's suggestion.  I have the GO513x2  and have had it a long time,  no problems with raising and lowering the post with the handwheel.   Once or twice I had the  blade guide rub on the upper wheel , but that was a simple realignment of the guide and tightening the screws.    You might also want to check to see if there is sawdust in the handwheel assembly.
Took it apart. cleaned all of the dust out of it, (there was plenty), there were scratches on the on the post and black paint in the cast housing where it had scratched off the post. Cleaned all the debris out of the housing. The worm gear assembly going to the hand wheel was sloppy. Got it apart and put it back together and tightened the slop out of it. Since removing the post was not hard, rather than sanding it I lubricated the inside of the cast housing. Will try it this way until it starts to bind again. I think lubricating it was a mistake but we will see. It cranks up and down smoothly now. I think the biggest help was tightening the worm gear sequence is a big difference. We’ll see.
Jim

There is a good chance
(02-22-2020, 12:11 AM)stoppy Wrote: Took it apart. cleaned all of the dust out of it, (there was plenty), there were scratches on the on the post and black paint in the cast housing where it had scratched off the post. Cleaned all the debris out of the housing. The worm gear assembly going to the hand wheel was sloppy. Got it apart and put it back together and tightened the slop out of it. Since removing the post was not hard, rather than sanding it I lubricated the inside of the cast housing. Will try it this way until it starts to bind again.  I think lubricating it was a mistake but we will see. It cranks up and down smoothly now. I think the biggest help was tightening the worm gear sequence is a big difference. We’ll see.
If you ever have to remove the bar again, clean it and apply a lubricant that does not attract dust. That's why I use Dricote.
Glad your guide bar moves smoothly now.
mike
Learned something new — Dricote. Never heard of it and it’s available all over.
Jim

There is a good chance
Glad that worked out. I didn't get to chime in before you had it fixed. You specifically mentioned your saw as a G0513X which was a 'tweener' machine. I have the same saw but, rarely run into other owners. This is the saw that really kicked the G0513 series off as a winner. Reviews were great, especially considering the price-point. Reviewers seemed to be grasping at straws for something to find wrong with the saw so the lack of cast iron trunnions became a focal point. Grizzly promptly responded with the G0513X2. Same saw, same hardened steel teeth on the trunnions but, now with cast iron trunnions versus steel. I appreciate that I could upgrade the trunnions for about $100 and have waited all these years to find a reason to do so. If I ever do I'll buy a new decal (X2) since my magnetic light has fouled my original (X) decal ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.