Scott Phillips???????
How does someone with the lousy design and construction skills of this man get a TV show?
let the flame war begin.
I'm not his fan...nor will I flame him. He's done the show himself and convinced the sponsors he's worthy of their support. His techniques have been battered here for many years and I agree with the criticisms. But you have to admire someone who can make a living doing things the way he does.......or not. He lives 2 counties south of me, and is quite popular with the locals. I'm told by some who consider him their friend he is indeed a talented woodworker. No one can explain why that doesn't come across on his show.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-22-2020, 11:47 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm not his fan...nor will I flame him. He's done the show himself and convinced the sponsors he's worthy of their support. His techniques have been battered here for many years and I agree with the criticisms. But you have to admire someone who can make a living doing things the way he does.......or not.

Well put.  I feel exactly the same way.

That being said, I don't feel the same way about Ana White and here 2x DIY "Farmhouse" inspired plans.  Absolute disaster.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't know if the numbers of woodworkers can support a show, but someone must be watching. I watch, but it doesn't take much to get me interested in watching woodworking. I am smart enough not to say I could do better.

I'm also not going to start running him down for whatever reason. There are just some shows you enjoy better than others.
(02-22-2020, 12:32 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well put.  I feel exactly the same way.

That being said, I don't feel the same way about Ana White and here 2x DIY "Farmhouse" inspired plans.  Absolute disaster.....

Ana White sells more tools that Scott Phillips any day of the week and that is what keeps those companies sponsoring woodworking shows
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Well, Norm used a brad nailer which is outright blasphemy so . . .

I say kudos to anyone who can make a living at this and I applaud their sharing of the enjoyment of the craft. Slamming in a few lengths of metal instead of clamping aside, Norm, Scott and others have inspired new woodworkers and given them the confidence to try things on for size. Those that continue in the craft probably quickly leave bad practices behind . . . or not ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(02-23-2020, 07:22 AM)GeeDub Wrote: Well, Norm used a brad nailer which is outright blasphemy so . . .

I say kudos to anyone who can make a living at this and I applaud their sharing of the enjoyment of the craft.  Slamming in a few lengths of metal instead of clamping aside, Norm, Scott and others have inspired new woodworkers and given them the confidence to try things on for size. Those that continue in the craft probably quickly leave bad practices behind . . . or not ;-)

I never was a fan of Scott Philips. I felt like I was being talked down to like a little kid. And I don't know who Ana White is, but I have to agree with GeeDub. Good for anyone who inspires people to the hobbie and that giving confidence to try new things is a good thing

I met Norm a couple of times and I must say that with all the fame that TV brought him, he was as down to earth as they come. I personally wouldn't be surprised if his show didn't open the door for Roy Underhill and Scott Phillips, and the rest.

Personally I would love to get a chance to do what they are doing, I love passing on what I have learned over the years. 

Anyway good for them and I am glad they got their chance and stepped out and took it.

Tom
Guess it’s time again for an SP-TAW thread.

Scott’s “design” work leaves lots to be desired.
However, he’s good with the bandsaw and I hear he’s generous to the local goodwill type centers which help the less fortunate.
More power to him for being able to do what he enjoys.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Roy's show debuted a full ten years before Norm's. Norm hardly opened the door for him.
(02-23-2020, 09:54 AM)WJB Wrote: Roy's show debuted a full ten years before  Norm's. Norm hardly opened the door for him.

Doesn't really matter to me. Norm had the all-time best woodworking show on TV, bar none, at least in my opinion. His presentation style and skills, along with his ability to communicate directly and effectively with the audience was unparalleled in the business, again IMO. I still don't understand why so many here still criticize him for "adding a brad" here and there. He's one of the reasons I was motivated to pursue this hobby, in addition to buying all the equipment to do it with.

I don't even know who Scott Phillips is; never heard of Ana White.

Doug