Scott Phillips???????
(02-24-2020, 01:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am not knocking him for using his sponsors tools at all.  To me it is good business, it just lacks ingenuity in using anything but pocket screws of which I would like to know more of just not to use with everything. 
Crazy

I guess the only good working shows left are Roy Underhill which I like a lot and Handi's and he does some very nice work to all the rest are gone.

Scott has a nich market for weekender folks and I think that is Great!!!!  If a person wants to get more involved in woodworking that is what woodworking sites like WoodNet is for and all the great ideas here.

It is my understanding that State Farm Insurance did not renew their sponsorship of The Woodwright's Shop and so it is no loner being produced. Everything after season 36 appears to be recycled content.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-24-2020, 02:17 PM)Rob Young Wrote: It is my understanding that State Farm Insurance did not renew their sponsorship of The Woodwright's Shop and so it is no loner being produced. Everything after season 36 appears to be recycled content.

The PBS web page for The Woodright's Shop still shows State Farm as a sponsor.  But you are correct - Season 36 seems to be all recycled content from previous shows.

It seems to me that The Woodright's Shop is getting less and less informative.  I like when Roy finds something old and recreates it using the old methods.  I get tired of seeing Chris Schwarz on the show.  The blacksmithing stuff is interesting, but not something most woodworkers have the resources to do.  More like background historical interest vs. how-to instruction.  I like the Mary May episodes, because carving is something very under-represented in woodworking shows.  Roy is 69 years old now. Norm is 70 and was much younger when he retired from NYY.  Perhaps he's also thinking it's time to retire and write another book.  Developing and producing content can be time consuming.  He's teaching classes at The Woodright's School, his facility in NC and maybe that's plenty.  Most of his classes are booked solid.

Another thought...
I don't know what it costs a PBS station to air The Woodright's Shop, but my local PBS station that carries it keeps recycling 2017 episodes.  Maybe the price to produce the show has increased to the point that many local PBS stations have chosen not to air it.  Less air time means less viewership which means less advertising exposure for the show's sponsors.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
He ain't that bad compared to many of those Instagram and Youtube "stars," or cowboy/girl woodworkers. O.k., he really isn't that good, but blame (not flame) the sponsors for their lack of taste. Luckily, many of us could tune to Fine Woodworking's (the new Tom).

Simon
".......WoodNet is for and all the great ideas here."

Woodsmith Shop TV Season 12 I recently started watching was way way better than Scott's (which I have avoided for years, to be frank). Season 11's Scalloped Lid Box was refreshing, too.

Some of you might remember that not too long ago, I scolded about a lousy tip that was published in Woodsmith. So, I'm not bootlicking here.

Simon