plumbing help
(02-25-2020, 02:10 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I would disconnect the kitchen drain and try from there before I cut into my plumbing.    Is the section of pipe where you suspect the leak accessible at all?  Can you cut the fitting out and replace it rather than drill through it?

I went through the kitchen drain and hit the clog on the 24th foot of a 25 foot snake. I am still not sure exactly where it was located but at least it is gone for now but not before my wife did a load of laundry which backed up in the tub and ran through the open overflow and down into my closet. Everything in the closet got soaked. What a day.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(02-25-2020, 11:45 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I wouldn't think it would damage PVC, it seems to be pretty slick & hard.

Perhaps.  The plumber fed the snake very slowly as he was "grinding" away at corrosion.  Since the PVC will not corrode the snake can be fed at a much faster pace until it meets up with the clog. 

I took it for a "test drive" and it is very easy to use.  Little or no skill required.  I certainly would try it before I called a plumber again.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-25-2020, 11:45 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I wouldn't think it would damage PVC, it seems to be pretty slick & hard.

I have run one through PVC resulted in opening up a wall.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-22-2020, 05:38 PM)messmaker Wrote: I can't get to it to put a Fernco sleeve on it. How else do I patch the hole?

Well, you could do what the PO of my last house did.  He was a home improvement contractor and really knew his stuff.

He drilled a hole in the vent pipe behind the dishwasher, ran a snake (presumably), then put a piece of black electrical tape over it.  

I found it when the pipe backed up.  The hard way.  
Upset

OK, so that was no help.  But I couldn’t resist.  
Winkgrin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"