Router bit got me on Friday
The summary is that a 3 1/4" raised panel router bit took off the tip of my right middle finger on Friday. I consider myself very fortunate that it's just a large spinning knife, as an edge profile probably would have made hamburger meat. As it is, it's more similar to a kitchen injury (my mother happened to be visiting and mentioned that her friend did something almost identical on Wednesday with a mandolin slicer).

I do not really know how it happened. I was not tired or rushing. I was not making a cut at the time. I *believe* I was reaching for the work on the table, which was not near the bit. It's possible that it slid forward slightly. I wish I knew exactly what happened so as to prevent anything in the future, but as it is I will simply have to learn from it and be considerably more careful. I like to think I'm safe in the shop, but it's apparent that using power tools as much as we do things can happen. All I know is I grazed the tip of the bit and felt pressure as the router slowed slightly, at which point my brain quickly processed that I may have touched the bit. Sure enough, I looked down, and yes, I did.

Four hours later after lots of cleaning, silver nitrate (very painful, didn't stop the bleeding), and cauterization (very painful, mostly stopped the bleeding), and a tight pressure bandage I was sent on my way. It was still bleeding after 24 hours when I changed the dressing and oozing the next morning, It wasn't until last night that it actually stopped. Fortunately, the good blood supply of finger tips lets them grow back either completely or almost completely. Right now, it's swollen and uncomfortable, but I made it through without any narcotics. I have a follow-up today to make sure the swelling is normal and not related to infection, as that would be the only major risk going forward. I'll probably ask for antibiotics regardless.

Just be safe. It could have been much, much, much worse. 

I do have a picture from the initial urgent care visit. It's not all that graphic.
I always considered a router to be a fairly safe piece of equipment.  It sounds like it was mounted on a table.  Not nearly as safe on the table.

I had a visit to the emergency room for a "kick-up" (a short piece of wood on the table saw kicked up and tore off the nail).  It hurt worse the second day than the first.  And I kept bumping it into things. 

The thing that got to me most is that I had not envisioned any danger.  I was using a push stick when it kicked up. 

It was the "surprise" that got to me.

Hope you feel better soon.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Sorry to hear of your travails...I have always been leery of those large diameter raised panel bits. It prompted me to pick up a horizontal router table which uses much smaller diameter bits.... I used it last weekend and very pleased with my purchase. Like anything else, there is a learning curve... 
Similar to this one:
https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...uter+table

Here's hope to speedy recovery...
Good luck in your recovery.  I broke the end bone of my pinky, and snipped the tip nearly off. Very painful. 
Angry
Pinched it between a rebar rod and steel plate.  Antibiotics and time finally healed it, and the nail grew back.
There is some loss of sensitivity in the tip and sides, but it's not completely numb now. It was for several months.

Smirk .

Gave new meaning to the term "sticking out like a sore thumb."
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Happy to hear it wasn't worse and I hope it heals quickly and completely.  I remember the surprise and disbelief when I got a couple of fingers into a biscuit joiner.  Not a pleasant day at all.   

Did you have a guard above the bit? 

John
I did a similar stunt a few years ago. It got the tips of two fingers both requiring a few stitches. While they both healed nicely, to this day, there is some numbness. I guess some nerves got slightly screwed up and are sending mixed signals. So, just suggesting that this might happen. Don't be surprised.
I've not had that close a call, but I recently bought a power feeder for an upcoming kitchen projec.t
Yes, I had a guard, but because of the size of the bit and the fact that the push pads have to ride under the guard meant that it was more exposed than usual. Normally bits in the table use both horizontal and vertical feather boards and it would be nearly impossible to put a finger there. This bit is an exception, especially on the final pass. That said, when doing this again I'm definitely going to find a way to be way more protected.

I have been warned about long-term numbness and tingling, but I've accumulated enough aches and pains over the years that I'm not worried one way or the other.

This makes me want to consider a SawStop. The time for safety features is before an injury, not after. I've never cut myself on a running saw, but anything can happen.
(02-24-2020, 11:19 AM)FS7 Wrote: This makes me want to consider a SawStop. The time for safety features is before an injury, not after. I've never cut myself on a running saw, but anything can happen.

That should start a, well, debate....I guess. But truthfully I'm glad it wasn't worse. Wishing you a speedy recovery and thanks fr sharing your mishap.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
For those wondering what it looked like...

https://ibb.co/5vcGJzZ