"He Mocks Me", Boards were heard to say
Hidden in a stack of flooring cut-offs....it did look like wood.....turned out to be a molded PLASTIC  that used two colours of plastic resin to extrude the board....

Beware of Flooring, they're are not always what they seem..

Face grain..
Confused 

Edge grain...and..

the end grain...

When you hear a SCREEEECH instead of the usual swoosh.....STOP.  

It is that straight piece, between the arch and the insert..

And, NO, it did not stain...at all..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I went a bit further in electrical cuts, and from here forward I'm looking forward to getting time to fit things together with more of a hand tool focus.   Nice knurled nuts are supposed to arrive soon, too
Smile

Chris
Some Saturday morning progress:

The Tuesday "blue-tape sawn" walnut pieces will be yielding straps, roughly chipped out as shown here:

The knurled nuts arrived!  Now a test-fitting of the two primary shelves, with their small tongues and their grooves for threaded rods.   The Pre-Rise of Gusdorf Stickley!

Have a great weekend,
Chris
Chris
I told my brother back home about the Gusdorf inspiration.   He still runs the shop there, and he texted me a picture of leftover US Patented assembly wrenches from those days:

With 2 walnut planks cut to fit, I started working on the oak planking, which is a bit more tedious.  Once one of these was in place, the whole think starting pulling 'square' a lot more readily.

Chris
A bit more work along the way.   Also, as long as black threaded fasteners are used, black wrought nails might as well join the club:

Chris
Chris
Just an aside here,

It is almost the NEW YEAR in some cultures (Thursday night March 19 around 11pm in my time zone).
Some such folks I know received this from me as a culturally appropriate gift back in 2007.   I realize now I didn't even have a decent hand-plane at that time.  And the 'inlaid' carving was with Exacto Knife, Dremel tool, and wood putty.    Where there's a will, there's a way!

My recent shelves project, I'll get back to after a few more days.

Chris
Chris
Interesting times...

St. Patrick's Day had me wearing green, working from Home for the first of many days coming up, and enjoying a moment of lunchtime sun, 'swabbing the decks' on the shelves:

The previously-kerfed strap boards, I first chopped out a bit with a chisel, and then used my super LN140 skew block plane.  It's my only L-N tool, and it's a rock.  I don't know if the original Stanley 140 was any good, but this thing is a joy:

Of course there's a lot still to do, but the general design is starting to firm up:

Stay healthy!

Chris
Chris
I'm calling 'er done!

Shortly after oiling the walnut pieces and spreading out the combustible walnut-oil-soaked paper towel in my office, I loaded it up with so many papers I can hardly see it any more!

Thanks for watching,
Chris
Chris
There was some leftover wood, and I needed a small gift box.

Instead of thru-dovetails, I did a thru-drawer... a little like a Follansbee valet.   Very small!

Chris