Shellac or lacquer?
(04-07-2020, 12:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: There are a lot of things GF no longer says about their products.  The UV system seems to be one of them.  They also now say (or did last I checked) that you shouldn't use EnduroVar over shellac, but used to say it was ok as long as the shellac was dewaxed.   

Sherwin Williams KemAqua Plus contains a dual UV package, too.  They even still say so:  Link

As for UV cured, those are industrial products, not something you and I normally could buy.  

John

I ordered printing once.  The printer said that they used UV inks.  The images faded badly so I contacted them.  They explained that it was "UV cured" not "UV resistant".  But the manner of curing is of no interest to the consumer so they were clearly setting out to deceive.  I've been suspicious of UV labels ever since. 

I did recently use Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) and PPG's Breakthrough! 250 crazed badly over the shellac.  PPG recommends no primer under the Breakthrough! and I have not had problems since. 

You can experiment or check with the manufacturer if a paint will adhere correctly to dewaxed shellac.  I always worked under the premise that "shellac seems to stick to everything and everything seems to stick to shellac".  That turned out to not be 100% true. 

Other than that, the Breakthrough! 250 is an excellent cabinet paint.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.