Source for quartersawn poplar?
I need just a little bit. Any suggestions?
(02-25-2020, 05:50 PM)overland Wrote: I need just a little bit. Any suggestions?

Honestly if you need just a little bit I would be tempted to to Lowes or Home Depot and just go through what the have on the floor.
Will they have quartersawn?
(02-25-2020, 08:13 PM)overland Wrote: Will they have quartersawn?

If you go through the stack, you could probably find some 1/4 sawn. 

Look up some local lumber mills on craigslist and facebook market place. 

Also check with builder's lumber supplier. We have a local hardware-building supply that carries poplar and will let me pick through the pile and its cheaper than Lowes.
There will (or should be) be a few quarter sawn boards in the pile at the box stores. Even when you flat saw a log, some of the slices will come out quarter sawn. My normal supplier specializes in quarter sawn hardwoods, and I don't believe I've ever seen poplar labeled there as quarter sawn. I doubt it's something that's normally done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Where are you located and how much is "a little bit"?

I just purchased about 500 bd ft from the mill and could go through my pile.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(02-25-2020, 08:13 PM)overland Wrote: Will they have quartersawn?

How much and can it be made up of glued-up panels? 

For example, you can "make" quarter sawn and rift sawn panels by re-ripping flat sawn planks and flipping 90* then re-gluing. Makes for a nice stable core in veneered work.

But if it is to be some kind of wide show surface, maybe not the best or easiest solution.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Boards 10-12" wide will usually have some rift/qs out at the edges.  This is what I use for rails and stiles.

Then you may come across that one board right across the middle that is all qs.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll check the local stores and see what's available there.
As usual, the advice I got here was spot on: I found some quarter sawn poplar among the 6" boards at Home Depot. Thanks for the tip.