Globe Vise Company
I am looking at purchasing a woodworking vise. I found one that is attached to a work bench that looks old. I am planning on building my own workbench plus I don’t think I would be able to move this bench much less get it into my basement.

Has anyone ever heard of glove vise company? I researched it and couldn’t find much just stuff on vintage machinery. Said $175 for one of the vises on the table. To me that is a little high for the work to get it cleaned up and looking nice. I do love old iron.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=11564

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=20282

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-26-2020, 10:26 AM)briman87 Wrote: I am looking at purchasing a woodworking vise. I found one that is attached to a work bench that looks old. I am planning on building my own workbench plus I don’t think I would be able to move this bench much less get it into my basement.

Has anyone ever heard of glove vise company? I researched it and couldn’t find much just stuff on vintage machinery. Said $175 for one of the vises on the table. To me that is a little high for the work to get it cleaned up and looking nice. I do love old iron.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=11564

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=20282

I am not familiar with the "Globe" name but according to the referenced links you provided in VM, they were around for a long time and a U.S. company. My guess is that if you like old iron (I do too, BTW) and want a vise with old iron lineage, this one would be hard beat. Price is always what a buyer is willing to pay. I'd be prepared to do some repair/refurbishment work on it from the looks of the picture, not unusual for any old iron. If you decide to buy it, I'm betting you'd have a vise not many have these days.

Good luck,

Doug
(02-26-2020, 11:20 AM)Tapper Wrote: I am not familiar with the "Globe" name but according to the referenced links you provided in VM, they were around for a long time and a U.S. company. My guess is that if you like old iron (I do too, BTW) and want a vise with old iron lineage, this one would be hard beat. Price is always what a buyer is willing to pay. I'd be prepared to do some repair/refurbishment work on it from the looks of the picture, not unusual for any old iron. If you decide to buy it, I'm betting you'd have a vise not many have these days.

Good luck,

Doug

I spoke with the guy about it and he said him and his wife bought it at an estate sale to use as an island in there kitchen and then decided not to. It doesn't look like it would need any repair work at least no welding. I misspoke on the price he said $150. I looked it up ebay and they have nothing so there is really no market values. I have seen craftsman vises around my area for as low as 50.
IMO it will be difficult to find another vise that looks like that one, with the name, made in the U.S., raised lettering on the outside of the face, etc. You can find many, many vises that will clamp wood effectively for 1/2 the price (or less). It just all depends on what you want.

Doug
If the bench is of no value to you offer what you are willing to pay for the vices.  The one in the picture is a looker for sure.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Cripes I would get it for that price and I am always short on money.  If you google bench vises and look for ones like it, you will pay more than that and it depends on how wide the vise is also.

Also it looks like two vises on the bench. Are you buying the bench or 1 vise?? If the whole thing you can take the table off the base and have both vises and a great top that needs alittle plane or sanding work.

I would not have a second thought about it and beg my wife for the food funds. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I only plan on buying one vise. He wants 600 for the hole bench which isn’t bad however I don’t think it would be able to fit down the stairs and into the basement.
Ya $600 is a bit much especially when there is a sale on Swedish ones right now for $900 and up and that one looks VERY used.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-27-2020, 09:02 PM)briman87 Wrote: I only plan on buying one vise. He wants 600 for the hole bench which isn’t bad however I don’t think it would be able to fit down the stairs and into the basement.

If I needed a vise, I would be all over that one at that price...It's only going to increase in value over time.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-01-2020, 07:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..............
If I needed a vise, I would be all over that one at that price...It's only going to increase in value over time.

I spoke with him and told him my prices I was at and he accepted it. I will have to wait till the weekend when I get paid.