How to identify spruce?
I'm looking for some spruce, which I think I might  be able to find at the local home improvement stores. But how can I distinguish it from pine and fir? Is it possible?
Fir will be darker, more of a light salmon color. Not sure I could tell spruce from white pine.
(02-26-2020, 01:58 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Fir will be darker, more of a light salmon color.  Not sure I could tell spruce from white pine.

Yuppp...what WWT said above...spruce  or spruce blend is usually easier to find in lumberyards.
Check with local sawyers, that's where I found some 18" wide live edge spruce...
When shopping for softwoods, I'm at the mercy of the selection of the home center. There usually just isn't any one species that has all the things I want. Whatever color, tight growth ring size, clarity, lack of twist, lack of catastrophic bow, lack of pith, lack of major damage to the inside of the wide area. Most of the smaller, darker 2x4s with big sloppy growth rings have the largest radius roundover on the sides, meaning if I need something thick, I effectively don't get as wide of a board.

When I'm putting together something with screws, theoretically tight growth rings help drill more accurately without guides. But on softwood a guide is a good idea anyway.

Usually tighter grain means a lighter color. However, I've noticed whatever species sold locally that has the lighter color and tight rings is often riddled with syrupy pockets of runny sap. On short pieces you can put them in the oven and set the pitch. High enough temperature and you can give it a nice, uniform warm tone(inside the board) as well. Added benefit of bug resistance. The dust when cutting and machining it is probably much worse for you, however. Also, the odor in the kitchen goes away in a day or so. Did I say the kitchen? I meant the whole house.
(02-26-2020, 12:42 PM)overland Wrote: I'm looking for some spruce, which I think I might  be able to find at the local home improvement stores. But how can I distinguish it from pine and fir? Is it possible?

Look at the grading stamp. A lot of times it will give you clues. Normally it says D Fir, Helmlock, or S-P-F, which is the eastern softwoods, which includes spruce. I know ive seen the tags on the end at both HD and Menards that will say D Fir or Spruce.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

This link describes distinguishing spruce: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic...ookalikes/

That database also has pictures and descriptions of the other species to compare.

Spruce has a very even color and texture, and is preferred for things like violin soundboards, at the very highest quality stock. But if you hold a 2x loosely and tap on it, even that grade of spruce frequently sounds a better tone than the other SPF.
Am I likely to find spruce in the smaller or larger widths?
[Image: VjxDQdT.jpg]

I've seen stuff that sorta resembles that left sample in both 2x4 and 2x12 sizes. Generally fatter growth rings. But I imagine it all comes down to local suppliers.
Found some 2 x 6s at Home Depot that were of Canadian origin and advertised as "white wood."  They were available only as 2x4s and 2x6s and judging from the end grain came from pretty small trees.  But I'm not sure if it's spruce or, say, balsam fir.  It's not doug fir, that's for sure.
(03-01-2020, 03:34 PM)overland Wrote: Found some 2 x 6s at Home Depot that were of Canadian origin and advertised as "white wood."  They were available only as 2x4s and 2x6s and judging from the end grain came from pretty small trees.  But I'm not sure if it's spruce or, say, balsam fir.  It's not doug fir, that's for sure.

Without knowing where you're shopping, east, middle, or west, it's tough to tell.  Canadian in the middle is probably white or black spruce.  Boreal forest is loaded with it, and it's often farmed, as well.  It's the smell/taste that differentiates spruce from pine.  Spruce sharper smell, and, since the two senses overlap, has a longer aftertaste.  The other boreal forest regular, balsam fir, has a strong, but not sharp smell., darker latewood. Seldom farmed for lumber, so probably narrower growth.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.