Small cabinet build-along
I'm attempting a small cabinet build. I was going to just build it, and if it came out ok, post photos. But it might be a fun build-along, so I'll do that. Emphasis on "build-along." This is emphatically not a tutorial! The cabinet construction, as I envision it, is slightly unusual. We'll see how it goes.

Like with my last documented build, this is a lot about the hand tool work and the music spinning on a pretty nice stereo. I'll get there. Not tonight, though. it was all power tools and dust and noise. I'll post my soundtrack when I get to the quieter parts.

Today I milled the sapele leg blanks. Four of them, plus a spare.

[Image: i-Rt9brm4-M.jpg]

Trivial. Except it wasn't. I cut them from an 8/4 quarter sawn plank, but I need the grain to run diagonal. The trolley on the right gave me the 45 degree tilt I needed. (I'll do anything to avoid tilting my table saw blade!) It will get more use in this project. It was a little touchy; the thickness of the original board was just a tick more than the diagonal of the final leg blanks above. 

I spent a couple weeks on and off figuring out the legs. I'm not giving it away, but the final design is in this pile somewhere.

[Image: i-Bp8nHgS-M.jpg]

There are a few more power tool steps, but the hand tool work is coming.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Good for you, Aram. I'll be following the build.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Your Daughter will cherish it very much along with all the other wonderful things you have made her.  So no matter what you make it is a +++ for both.

I really like the suction thing you have for the table saw.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Build-a-longs are always fun for the readers.  Not sure about the posters, but thanks for bringing us along.  Looking forward to seeing if your different view of cabinetry matches mine.
Cool! Can wait to see some more progress.

I have been contemplating a strictly (or mostly) hand tool build with some curly Brazilian walnut I have been hording. Derek's current build-along has my head spinning on design ideas. I know that your project will give me some more inspiration.
I've been spending most of my woodworking time adjusting the proportions (I had to make full scale drawings for this one), and mostly rethinking the joinery. Listening to Jerry Jeff Walker and thinking and drawing a lot. I did cut this veneer. So here, something to look at.

[Image: i-BGbVNkr-M.jpg]

It's always a little nerve wracking feeding the thin stuff through the planer, but it came out fine.

I'm hoping to do some real work this weekend. Not Saturday morning, though. I'll be watching my coworker run the Olympic Marathon trials. Luckily it is televised.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote:I've been spending most of my woodworking time adjusting the proportions (I had to make full scale drawings for this one), and mostly rethinking the joinery.
Aram, I always start out with a full-sized drawing on a 6mm MDF sheet. The provides a better perspective and view of proportions, and later i can use it as a story stick ...

[Image: A.jpg]

[Image: Final5.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-28-2020, 11:07 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Aram, I always start out with a full-sized drawing on a 6mm MDF sheet. The provides a better perspective and view of proportions, and later i can use it as a story stick ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, It's a good approach. I only do that when I need to. Sometimes I make full-sized models and skip the drawings. Often, I work from small sketches. Sometimes I just pick up the wood and off I go. This is typically for smaller, simpler projects, but it is my favorite way when I can get away with it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I will make story sticks out of scrap and work on that, planing off marks and remarking until I get the sizes/proportions I want. Then I have something to transfer marks from as I start milling and cutting.
The start of this project is going to be a bit slow, but I expect it to pick up steam. First, I jointed the veneer in preparation for edge-gluing. Line up the mating edges, fold them like a book, clamp in a plywood sandwich and take a few very light passes with a jack plane. Why not my jointer plane? Because I forgot about it. The advice I have read says don't spring the joints for veneer, so i jointed them straight. I've done it before, and it worked, which is good enough for me.

[Image: i-Z6XsxLB-M.jpg]

Edge glue with Titebond. I like to use wedges. I'm sure Derek will say blue tape. This sapele board is giving me a Georgia O'Keeffe effect. 

[Image: i-LWwvvmS-M.jpg]

Meanwhile, I milled some quarter sawn sapele (from a different plank) for part of the cabinet frame. I don't do miters very often, and I have never done them by hand. So today, I practiced. The miters were amazing off of my miter box, and almost usable that way. But I will need to shoot them. I don't have the kind of miter shooting board with the 90 degree piece that you come at from both directions. I just have the Rob Hanson special, which to date I have only used for 90 degree shooting. I set the angle to 45 degrees, and hoped it was accurate. You have to flip the boards upside down for half the cuts. The two pieces make a dead-on 90 degree angle when I put them together, so this looks promising.

[Image: i-KGB4BJ9-M.jpg]

Today's music: Beethoven's 6th Symphony. First Walter, then Bohm. Both good, but I slightly prefer Bohm. But then, what do I know? After that, a whole lot of Howlin' Wolf. Awooooo!

More tomorrow.
Best,
Aram, always learning